National award for Central Park in East Ham
Volunteers and council staff were rewarded for their efforts as East Ham park received a national award for the sixth year running.
Central Park, off Central Park Road, was awarded the Green Flag award to recognise excellence in parks and green spaces.
Residents who help to maintain the park attended a celebratory flag-raising ceremony led by Newham Mayor Sir Robin Wales alongside the council’s Greenspace employees.
In order to win the accolade, parks must be judged to have a welcoming atmosphere, a healthy, safe and secure environment, cleanliness and sustainability with an emphasis on community involvement.
Sir Robin Wales said: “This award means Central Park is among the best in the country and I would like to thank the volunteers and council staff who have helped to keep it beautiful, safe and tidy.
You may also want to watch:
“The fact we’ve retained this award for six years is a testament to their hard work.
“Our parks play a vital role in the community with opportunities for everyone from children to the elderly.
- 1 Take a peek inside The Boleyn Tavern as it prepares to welcome punters
- 2 Investigation launched after two young men stabbed in Newham
- 3 Looking back: five years since West Ham United left the Boleyn
- 4 Met launches summer operation as teen killings surge
- 5 Demand for urgent action as Newham lags behind in Covid-19 jabs
- 6 Arrests in Ilford and East Ham as police target suspected county lines gang
- 7 Tokyo or bust for Newham Beagles and Olympic hero Sir Mo Farah
- 8 Charting Jack the Ripper's 'rival' in the West Ham murders
- 9 How Ben Levinson OBE has helped turn around Kensington Primary School
- 10 The Boleyn Tavern in East Ham to welcome back punters after £1.5m restoration
“They are a place for people to come together, enjoy themselves, and keep active and this award recognises their importance.”
Central Park annually hosts the Mayor’s Newham Show, Under the Stars - a free music festival over four nights - and this year it was chosen to screen London 2012 events as a Newham Live site along with Stratford Park.