Music lovers pick what orchestra should play at East Ham festival
- Credit: sarah london
Newham residents can choose the piece of classical music that will close this year’s four-day music festival Under the Stars.
They can pick the piece of classical music the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra will play to play at the spectacular finale of to the Under the Stars series of free concerts.
Newham Council has for the first time introduced an Audience Choice spot where residents can vote for one of five choices that they would like to hear on the last night of the festival in East Ham’s Central Park on August 18.
Mayor Sir Robin Wales said: “The final night of Under the Stars is always a brilliant occasion with inspiring music, people waving flags and fireworks bringing the evening to a spectacular crescendo.
“This year we want residents to feel even more involved by being able to choose a piece of music that they particularly want the RPO to perform.”
You may also want to watch:
The piece with the most votes will be performed before the interval of the final show. People can pick from:
• Bizet’s L’Arlesienne: Farandole;
- 1 Take a peek inside The Boleyn Tavern as it prepares to welcome punters
- 2 Investigation launched after two young men stabbed in Newham
- 3 'Dangerous and predatory' Newham man found guilty of child sex assault
- 4 Met launches summer operation as teen killings surge
- 5 Demand for urgent action as Newham lags behind in Covid-19 jabs
- 6 Charting Jack the Ripper's 'rival' in the West Ham murders
- 7 Arrests in Ilford and East Ham as police target suspected county lines gang
- 8 Dame Vera Lynn memorial campaign announced on first anniversary of star's death
- 9 Richard House Children's Hospice sensory garden equipment stolen
- 10 Free cultural events and family activities in the Royal Docks announced
• Brahms’ Hungarian March No.5;
• Coates‘ London Suite: Knightsbridge March;
• Greig’s Peer Gynt Suite: Morning;
• Mascagni’s Cavalleria Rusticana: Intermezzo.
All the selected pieces can be heard at www.newham.gov.uk/rpo to help people make up their minds. Votes will be counted on August 9.
The gates open in Central Park, High Street South, at 6.30pm with the performance ending at around 10pm.
Performers across the other three nights of Under the Stars beginning on August 15 include Incognito, the Brand New Heavies, Boney M featuring Liz Mitchell, Imagination, The Real Thing, DCS featuring Shin, Taz Stereo Nation and Juggy D. For more details visit www.newham.com/summer