Murder update:Balaclava-clad men fired shots
ARMED gunmen, wearing balaclavas opened fire on a group of friends, leading to death of a teenager in Plaistow in the early hours of this morning.
The 16-year-old was discovered in Chesterton Road but was pronounced dead at the scene. He was shot in the upper left chest.
His family has been informed though police are waiting for formal identification. A post mortem will be carried out at Walthamstow mortuary tomorrow morning.
A 15-year-old boy, who was shot in the abdomen, was taken to an east London hospital where his condition was described as “stable”.
Police were called at 3.20am to Chesterton Road following reports of two teenagers suffering with gunshot wounds. The incident occurred at a patch of parkland at the junction of Upper Road with Chesterton Road.
Scotland Yard said a group of four friends were in Upper Road when two gunmen appeared behind them and began firing. Four shots were discharged.
The suspects were said to be dressed in black with balaclavas.
- 1 Truck towing stolen Rolls Royce SUV crashes before dramatic foot chase
- 2 Fares Maatou was 'murdered with stolen sword', court hears
- 3 Manor Park blaze caused by the 'accidental ignition of textiles'
- 4 Moosakhan Nasiri: Man charged with Plashet Park murder
- 5 Three Met officers receive written warning over photos of murdered sisters
- 6 Man denies committing GBH during alleged robbery at Barkingside Tesco
- 7 Man denies charges after drugs raids as east London duo await trial
- 8 Woman injured after being hit by electric scooter in East Ham
- 9 Manor Park blaze: 100 firefighters get tower block fire under control
- 10 Drone images of Newham tower block blaze
The murder is being investigated by Operation Trident - the unit dedicated to tackling crime within black communities in the capital. An incident room has been opened under DCI John Mackenzie.
Witnesses or anyone with information are asked to contact the incident room on (020) 8733 4704 or to call Crimestoppers if they want to remain anonymous.