Mum fears mould putting children’s lives at risk in Custom House
- Credit: Archant
A mum-of-two fears a serious mould problem could threaten her children’s lives.
Sadia Nakimera, 31, of Hoskins Close, Custom House, is one of a number of residents calling on Newham Council to take action about an endemic mould issue through PEACH.
She and her eldest son Jayden, five, suffer from asthma which she claims has worsened since they moved into the council flat in April 2011. “Before it was controlled, I could go for a year without an attack – actually I thought it had gone for good – but now I have an attack about once every month. I have even started to lose my voice.”
A full-time carer for Jayden, who suffers from autism, Sadia said even her youngest boy, two-year-old Julian, was hit by regular chest infections.
The family was living in one room to escape the worst of the mould and recent news of a friend’s son dying from an asthma attack in her native Uganda has raised fears. “I’m thinking if this problem continues I could lose one of my kids.”
You may also want to watch:
A Newham Council spokesman said: “We have visited each property on Hoskins Close to find out which tenants are experiencing problems with damp and mould. We have delivered letters to those residents who are not in asking them to get in touch with us if they are affected. We will carry out an assessment to find out what work needs doing.”
- 1 WATCH: Footage emerges of Beckton Alps ski slope
- 2 Driver, 18, wanted for driving wrong way through Blackwall Tunnel
- 3 'We haven't waited to act': Newham primary schools extend days to help pupils catch up after pandemic
- 4 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 5 Views sought on future of Newham as local plan set for refresh
- 6 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 7 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 8 Forest Gate triple shooting: 'Safety is everybody's business,' councillor says
- 9 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 10 Road and rail disruptions to expect in east London this week