Moyes: West Ham deserved point at Old Trafford
- Credit: PA
West Ham United boss David Moyes was delighted to secure Premier League safety once and for all after a draw at Manchester United on Wednesday.
In-form Michail Antonio put the Hammers ahead from the penalty spot in first-half injury time, with his 10th goal of the season, and although Mason Greenwood levelled soon after the restart the visitors deserved a share of the spoils.
Moyes said: “I think it would’ve taken a pretty big total for other teams to catch the goal difference and get the points.
“But the maths didn’t make it safe and thankfully the players put in a great job, played really well.
“I think we thoroughly deserved a point.”
You may also want to watch:
Moyes was allowed to leave after leading West Ham to safety during his previous spell at the east London club, but the Scot has a year left on his deal and is optimistic about next season.
“I actually think we were moving in the right direction already,” he added.
- 1 Housing campaigners to stage protest in Canning Town over empty homes
- 2 Town hall chiefs back £3m purchase of Plaistow property for rough sleeper centre
- 3 Body found in search for missing Newham man
- 4 Police officer jailed for GBH after injuring man in Forest Gate
- 5 Meet the candidates battling for votes in East Ham's by-election
- 6 Silvertown, North Woolwich heritage project offers opportunity to history buff
- 7 Santino Dymiter murder: Teens given life terms for 'savage' gang killing
- 8 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 9 Election candidate slams plans for Durning Hall in Forest Gate
- 10 Tributes to 'hero' charity founder who dedicated life to Newham children
“I think we have got some young players, I think we’ve got some good talent, who I believe will improve and get better.
“Hopefully given a little bit of time, we’ll be able to do that.”
West Ham, having moved four points clear of the relegation zone and up to 15th place above Brighton, entertain Aston Villa at London Stadium in their final game of the 2019-20 season on Sunday (4pm).