Moving from Sussex to London – but staying in Plaistow
- Credit: Archant
Last week Sean Fitzgerald – town manager of Plaistow, New Hampshire – paid tribute to Plaistow, Newham on the eve of his state’s presidential primary elections.
Readers may have been surprised to learn of the existence of our American namesake – but as one new arrival to the borough pointed out, there are even more Plaistows out there.
“I have just moved from Plaistow, West Sussex to Plaistow, East London,” Pauline Wynnward said.
Pauline explained that her previous Plaistow is an “old small village with a church, village shop and Ye Olde Sun Inn” – a pub that dates back to the 11th century.
“There is also a thriving football team,” she added. “But cricket had to stop due to lack of players.”
You may also want to watch:
In 2013 Stuart East, Plaistow and Ifold Parish Council chairman, told the Midhurst and Petworth Observer about the bucolic area.
“The most commonly identified good thing about the parish was the ‘country feel’,” he said. “Closely followed by the ‘peacefulness’ and ‘community spirit’.”
- 1 WATCH: Footage emerges of Beckton Alps ski slope
- 2 Driver, 18, wanted for driving wrong way through Blackwall Tunnel
- 3 'We haven't waited to act': Newham primary schools extend days to help pupils catch up after pandemic
- 4 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 5 Views sought on future of Newham as local plan set for refresh
- 6 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 7 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 8 Forest Gate triple shooting: 'Safety is everybody's business,' councillor says
- 9 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 10 Newham nursery schools praised for inclusion work
Other Plaistows in the UK can be found in Derbyshire, Bromley and the House of Lords (the Rt Hon the Lord Sterling of Plaistow).