Motorists offered alternative crossing options including extra ferries
Blackwall Tunne:Final weekend closure this year
MOTORISTS are warned the Blackwall Tunnel will be closed to southbound traffic this weekend as part of the refurbishment of the 113 –year-old river crossing.
During the closure, the Rotherhithe Tunnel will operate two lanes in the southbound direction only, while the Blackwall Tunnel will carry only northbound traffic.
The same arrangement during the last closure in July resulted in considerably less congestion overall throughout East London.
Other and alternative river crossings are Tower Bridge, the Woolwich Ferry or the Dartford Crossing.
You may also want to watch:
The Ferry will run additional services between 6.10am – 10pm on Saturday and 9am – 9.30pm on Sunday.
It will be the last weekend closure of the year, though more but fewer are planned until early 2012.
- 1 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
- 2 Vandal targets St Antony statue outside church in Forest Gate
- 3 Lewis Hamilton-backed vegan burger joint to open in Stratford
- 4 Family of man who died after attack in Canning Town pays tribute to a 'loving, generous' father
- 5 Rumours over empty Stratford estate homes quashed in meeting
- 6 Architects awarded £300K contract for Stratford Station makeover
- 7 Blaze under control at block of flats being built in Canning Town
- 8 'Petrified' cat reunited with kittens after 'pursuit' in Canning Town
- 9 Newham charity hands out 500 food parcels to 'vulnerable' international students struggling with Covid-19
- 10 Woman arrested in Custom House fatal stabbing and shooting investigation
Work completed so far includes the installation of new ventilation fans in two of the tunnel’s four shafts and the installation of temporary lighting, CCTV and communications systems throughout the tunnel. Work to install the permanent systems, which will bring the tunnel up to current standards, has also recently begun.
For more information, visit www.tfl.gov.uk/blackwalltunnelrefurbishment.