Motorists offered alternative crossing options including extra ferries
Blackwall Tunne:Final weekend closure this year
MOTORISTS are warned the Blackwall Tunnel will be closed to southbound traffic this weekend as part of the refurbishment of the 113 –year-old river crossing.
During the closure, the Rotherhithe Tunnel will operate two lanes in the southbound direction only, while the Blackwall Tunnel will carry only northbound traffic.
The same arrangement during the last closure in July resulted in considerably less congestion overall throughout East London.
Other and alternative river crossings are Tower Bridge, the Woolwich Ferry or the Dartford Crossing.
You may also want to watch:
The Ferry will run additional services between 6.10am – 10pm on Saturday and 9am – 9.30pm on Sunday.
It will be the last weekend closure of the year, though more but fewer are planned until early 2012.
- 1 Police appeal for help after woman raped in Beckton
- 2 Footage shows crowd piling onto train at Canning Town station
- 3 Forest Gate man, 21, charged with dangerous and drug driving
- 4 NHS Nightingale London opens to patients without Covid-19
- 5 Newham's Covid-19 case rate 'huge' but there is 'light at end of the tunnel'
- 6 NHS 'concerned' about Covid vaccine uptake in Newham
- 7 Volunteers out to bust Covid jab myths and false conspiracy theories
- 8 Dangerous driver arrested after police find drugs and £28k cash
- 9 Double murder accused remanded in custody over ‘brutal’ stabbings
- 10 Serial fraudster who set up fake real estate company jailed for six years
Work completed so far includes the installation of new ventilation fans in two of the tunnel’s four shafts and the installation of temporary lighting, CCTV and communications systems throughout the tunnel. Work to install the permanent systems, which will bring the tunnel up to current standards, has also recently begun.
For more information, visit www.tfl.gov.uk/blackwalltunnelrefurbishment.