Motorists offered alternative crossing options including extra ferries
Blackwall Tunne:Final weekend closure this year
MOTORISTS are warned the Blackwall Tunnel will be closed to southbound traffic this weekend as part of the refurbishment of the 113 –year-old river crossing.
During the closure, the Rotherhithe Tunnel will operate two lanes in the southbound direction only, while the Blackwall Tunnel will carry only northbound traffic.
The same arrangement during the last closure in July resulted in considerably less congestion overall throughout East London.
Other and alternative river crossings are Tower Bridge, the Woolwich Ferry or the Dartford Crossing.
The Ferry will run additional services between 6.10am – 10pm on Saturday and 9am – 9.30pm on Sunday.
It will be the last weekend closure of the year, though more but fewer are planned until early 2012.
- 1 Man jailed for rape after attacking woman walking back from Canning Town
- 2 First Omicron case reported in Newham
- 3 Possible travel disruptions for central London this week
- 4 'Extremely violent' Forest Gate robbery filmed by onlookers
- 5 12 people wanted after unlinked Newham robberies
- 6 Members of Mali Boys gang jailed for supplying Class A drugs into Essex
- 7 Westfield bar's licence under threat after girl raped
- 8 Strike action will hit Central and Victoria line Night Tube services this weekend
- 9 There With You This Winter: Mayor offers £51m of funding for fuel poverty
- 10 Burglar posing as police officer 'preyed upon the elderly'
Work completed so far includes the installation of new ventilation fans in two of the tunnel’s four shafts and the installation of temporary lighting, CCTV and communications systems throughout the tunnel. Work to install the permanent systems, which will bring the tunnel up to current standards, has also recently begun.
For more information, visit www.tfl.gov.uk/blackwalltunnelrefurbishment.