Motorists offered alternative crossing options including extra ferries
Blackwall Tunne:Final weekend closure this year
MOTORISTS are warned the Blackwall Tunnel will be closed to southbound traffic this weekend as part of the refurbishment of the 113 –year-old river crossing.
During the closure, the Rotherhithe Tunnel will operate two lanes in the southbound direction only, while the Blackwall Tunnel will carry only northbound traffic.
The same arrangement during the last closure in July resulted in considerably less congestion overall throughout East London.
Other and alternative river crossings are Tower Bridge, the Woolwich Ferry or the Dartford Crossing.
You may also want to watch:
The Ferry will run additional services between 6.10am – 10pm on Saturday and 9am – 9.30pm on Sunday.
It will be the last weekend closure of the year, though more but fewer are planned until early 2012.
- 1 East Ham cannabis farm raided by police
- 2 Bus crashes into lamp post in Stratford
- 3 'It's about safety': Manor Park neighbours urge council to crack down on pavement parking
- 4 Start Me Up: Rolling Stones legend Ronnie Wood opens studio in Canning Town for budding musicians
- 5 Transfer round-up: Leyton Orient bring in eight as departures find new clubs
- 6 Jailed: 'Violent' Beckton man who threatened to chop off ex-partner's head
- 7 Free climber scales Stratford skyscraper for climate change awareness
- 8 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
- 9 Leyton Orient could be without key forwards for season opener at Salford
- 10 Meet the weight-loss runner using Newham as a canvas
Work completed so far includes the installation of new ventilation fans in two of the tunnel’s four shafts and the installation of temporary lighting, CCTV and communications systems throughout the tunnel. Work to install the permanent systems, which will bring the tunnel up to current standards, has also recently begun.
For more information, visit www.tfl.gov.uk/blackwalltunnelrefurbishment.