Mother who left baby Charlie behind at Newham General Hospital is traced
Police have traced a mother who abandoned her new baby boy just hours after giving birth at Newham General Hospital back in September.
Officers were concerned for the welfare of the mother.
Nurses at Newham General nicknamed the baby in their care Charlie.
The woman who gave her name as Katalena Sctarra went into labour in High Street North, East Ham, �on September 14.
A passer-by helped Katalena and immediately called an ambulance.
You may also want to watch:
She was taken to the hospital where minutes after �arriving at 7pm she gave birth to the boy weighing in at 5lb 1oz.
At round 11:40pm Katalena went outside the hospital to have a cigarette. It is at this point that she disappeared.
- 1 Engineering student wins place at Princeton University
- 2 West Ham United reveal 2021/22 Umbro Third Kit
- 3 Leyton Orient still looking to add one or two new signings
- 4 Forest Gate flats bid gets green light despite neighbours' objections
- 5 More than 20 places in Newham hit by flooding, council says
- 6 Free fitness sessions on offer in Newham as parkrun returns
- 7 Ex-McDonald's crew member in final of national awards honouring those shaping business world
- 8 Fried chicken outlet to open at Westfield in Stratford
- 9 Meet the Forest Gate pastor supporting athletes at Tokyo Olympics 2020
- 10 Clean-up underway after flash floods hit Newham
She has now been traced by police who have interviewed her. Her child remains in the care of Newham Social Services.