Memory Lane: Pub reunion for Old Plaistovians
Memory Lane: Old Plaistovians from as far away as Australia reunited in a local pub to reminisce with childhood friends.
Debra Williams, a Plaistow resident of around 40 years, used a social networking site to get in touch with people who grew up with her in the E13 area but had since moved away.
Receiving an overwhelming response, she soon organised a party in the Lord Stanley pub on St Mary’s Road to great success with around 120 people attending on Saturday August 18.
Not only getting together to bring old memories back to life, the group also raised money for St Joseph’s Hospice in Hackney along with Mrs Prosser, the Pearly Queen of Upton Park, who sang a rousing rendition of ‘Maybe it’s Because I’m a Londoner’.
Debra said: “We had people come from all over the country and even someone from Australia who met up with his long lost childhood best friend.
You may also want to watch:
“We had a great night and met old and new friends all from E13.”
Memory Lane is back in the Recorder following requests from our readers who missed the column and also the memories from our Days of the Old School Yard feature,.
- 1 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
- 2 Vandal targets St Antony statue outside church in Forest Gate
- 3 Family of man who died after attack in Canning Town pays tribute to a 'loving, generous' father
- 4 'Concern over reliability of cladding and fire safety assessments'
- 5 Lewis Hamilton-backed vegan burger joint to open in Stratford
- 6 Newham to roll out greener fleet as part of £20m plans
- 7 Teenagers killed in London in 2021 so far nears 2020 total
- 8 Woman arrested in Custom House fatal stabbing and shooting investigation
- 9 Architects awarded £300K contract for Stratford Station makeover
- 10 Call for 'zero tolerance' crackdown on Newham gangs
So we have decided to merge the two in a feature that depending on you, our dear readers! It will appear both in paper and online at www.newhamrecorder.co.uk
It will be what you make it! If you would like to submit a piece of history for Memory Lane, please e-mail The Editor email@example.com, sending pictures as a jpeg or write to: Colin Grainger, Editor, Newham Recorder, 539 High Road, Ilford, 1G1 1UD.
We promise to take care of your pictures and post them back to you.
Or if you have a re-union planned or have been to one, please let us let us know.