Memory Lane: Back in time more than 60 years ago for Plaistow pupils
Memory Lane for Plaistow pupils...in 1951!
This week’s trip down Memory Lane takes us back more than 60 years, thanks to a contribution from Roger Windsor.
Roger gives us a superb view of pupils in 1951 of students from North West Ham Technical School, North Street, Plaistow. Said Roger: “The picture was taken during a school trip to Lake on the Isle of Wight, staying at the Mount Pleasant Hotel.
“We are all 14 or 15 and I am third from the right, front row. The school was divided in two, the subjects being commerce which most of the girls took and art for most of the boys.
“I was an exception because even then I had my heart set on becoming a journalist so learning shorthand and typing stood me in good stead for future years.
You may also want to watch:
“As you can see some of our girls were very pretty and I remember local boys had to be shooed away from the hotel! I dopn’t know if anyone in the picture is still in the Plaistow area but if anyone does recognise themselves I can be contacted at email@example.com.”
Memory Lane is back in the Recorder following requests from our readers who missed the column and also the memories from our Days of the Old School Yard feature,.
- 1 Hospitality Day 2021: Newham's favourite cafe, pub and restaurant revealed
- 2 Plans to ease congestion at Stratford station receive £2m boost
- 3 David Gomoh's killers jailed 101 years total for Canning Town murder
- 4 Otas Sarkus: Two charged with murder after fatal shooting
- 5 Watch the moment 'stolen' car drives into vehicles in East Ham
- 6 Kacem Mokrane: Newham man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 7 Jailed: Robbers who targeted OAPs at east London cashpoints
- 8 Steven Fry stabbing: Custom House victim named in murder investigation
- 9 Jailed: 'Sadistically cruel' East Ham man who raped, assaulted victim
- 10 Machetes, zombie and lock knives: Five plead guilty after police seize 128 weapons in Plaistow
So we have decided to merge the two in a feature that depending on you, our dear readers! It will appear both in paper and online at www.newhamrecorder.co.uk
It will be what you make it! If you would like to submit a piece of history for Memory Lane, please e-mail The Editor firstname.lastname@example.org, sending pictures as a jpeg or write to: Colin Grainger, Editor, Newham Recorder, 539 High Road, Ilford, 1G1 1UD.
We promise to take care of your pictures and post them back to you.
Or if you have a re-union planned or have been to one, please let us let us know.