Memory Lane: Back in time more than 60 years ago for Plaistow pupils
Memory Lane for Plaistow pupils...in 1951!
This week’s trip down Memory Lane takes us back more than 60 years, thanks to a contribution from Roger Windsor.
Roger gives us a superb view of pupils in 1951 of students from North West Ham Technical School, North Street, Plaistow. Said Roger: “The picture was taken during a school trip to Lake on the Isle of Wight, staying at the Mount Pleasant Hotel.
“We are all 14 or 15 and I am third from the right, front row. The school was divided in two, the subjects being commerce which most of the girls took and art for most of the boys.
“I was an exception because even then I had my heart set on becoming a journalist so learning shorthand and typing stood me in good stead for future years.
You may also want to watch:
“As you can see some of our girls were very pretty and I remember local boys had to be shooed away from the hotel! I dopn’t know if anyone in the picture is still in the Plaistow area but if anyone does recognise themselves I can be contacted at email@example.com.”
Memory Lane is back in the Recorder following requests from our readers who missed the column and also the memories from our Days of the Old School Yard feature,.
- 1 The Boleyn Tavern in East Ham to welcome back punters after £1.5m restoration
- 2 11 films and TV shows shot in Newham
- 3 Arrests in Ilford and East Ham as police target suspected county lines gang
- 4 Exploding aerosol cans 'contributed to rapid spread' of Silvertown blaze
- 5 Average house price in Newham slides again after record February
- 6 Delta variant accounts for majority of Covid cases in much of east London
- 7 London Stadium to host mass Covid-19 jabs event for north east Londoners
- 8 Plaistow woman shaves her head for charities
- 9 Richard House Children's Hospice sensory garden equipment stolen
- 10 Chief nurse of England praises Newham specialist school nurses
So we have decided to merge the two in a feature that depending on you, our dear readers! It will appear both in paper and online at www.newhamrecorder.co.uk
It will be what you make it! If you would like to submit a piece of history for Memory Lane, please e-mail The Editor firstname.lastname@example.org, sending pictures as a jpeg or write to: Colin Grainger, Editor, Newham Recorder, 539 High Road, Ilford, 1G1 1UD.
We promise to take care of your pictures and post them back to you.
Or if you have a re-union planned or have been to one, please let us let us know.