Memorial service for Manor Park community champion
Family, friends and East Ham MP Stephen Timms paid tribute to a community champion at a memorial service in Manor Park last week.
Zafar Iqbal Sharif, of Third Avenue, Manor Park, died of a heart attack at the age of 52 two years ago while on holiday in Pakistan.
Described by his son Muhammad Usman Sharif as “a chartered accountant by day and a humanitarian by night”, Zafar helped the local community with their problems through Mr Timms and created a charity, the Kashmir Relief and Development Foundation (KRDF), to help the survivors of the 2005 Kashmir earthquake.
The charity’s work was mostly funded by multi-faith organisations and donations from his community in Newham, building six schools, vocational training centres and water projects.
The memorial service was held at the Community Centre, Anjuman-e-Islamia, on High Street North on February 29 with around 150 people in attendance including Zafar’s widow Nusrat, his two daughters, and his two sons.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Timms gave a speech at the service along with his son Muhammad who said he would carry on his father’s community work.
He said: “His hard work and dedication that he put down every single day is what has made me, my brother and my sisters the human beings we are.
- 1 Vandal targets St Antony statue outside church in Forest Gate
- 2 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
- 3 Rumours over empty Stratford estate homes quashed in meeting
- 4 Architects awarded £300K contract for Stratford Station makeover
- 5 'Petrified' cat reunited with kittens after 'pursuit' in Canning Town
- 6 Family of man who died after attack in Canning Town pays tribute to a 'loving, generous' father
- 7 Kenny Jackett emerges as odds-on favourite for Leyton Orient job
- 8 Blaze under control at block of flats being built in Canning Town
- 9 Flights from London City Airport to Switzerland resume as hub readies for return to international travel
- 10 Newham saw no deaths from Covid-19 at the end of April, figures show
“We learnt a lot from him. His personality stands in front of us as a role model for us to follow, not only for now but for the rest of our lives.
“His life is the perfect example of how to make the most of the time you have to live.”