Mayor renews call over future of Stratford station
Stratford International could well have a major role to play in the planned High Speed 2 rail service linking London and Birmingham, MPs believe.
A Parliamentary report, published by the cross-parliamentary transport select committee, calls for the proposed service to Euston to be re-examined, with Stratford playing a fuller role as a destination.
And the publication has led Newham Council to renew calls for Stratford International Station to be used as a destination. Newham Mayor, Sir Robin Wales, welcomed the findings.
“Our own research shows the benefits of using Stratford International station as an international and domestic transport hub,” he said.
You may also want to watch:
He added that the results are in line with the UK’s leading promoters of High Speed Rail, Greengauge 21, which found that using the existing station could help reduce costs on the overall HS2 project.
He went on: “More than �200 million of public money has been spent on a (Euston)) station that currently has no international stops. At a time of increasing austerity it is vital that the Government uses existing assets.
- 1 Steven Fry stabbing: Man charged with murder to appear at Old Bailey
- 2 3D street art illusion brings Boleyn Ground to life
- 3 East London's 10 prettiest streets to visit
- 4 Steven Fry: Canning Town man to face court charged with murder
- 5 Fire damages house in East Ham
- 6 Police name Newham man fatally shot in Haringey
- 7 Three places to go pumpkin picking near east London
- 8 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 9 Canning Town charity marks fifth year with tributes to founder
- 10 Road and rail round-up: Steer clear of these disruptions next week
He said with the development of Westfield Stratford City, the Olympic Park and Canary Wharf, it’s clear that London is moving east.
“East London is already recognised for its huge economic potential and international travel from Stratford would further increase the interest we’ve had from international businesses wanting to move to the area.