Search

Mayor of London front-runners support Night Tube boost

PUBLISHED: 15:07 27 April 2016 | UPDATED: 15:49 27 April 2016

Labour candidate Sadiq Khan (left) and Conservative candidate Zac Goldsmith have shown support for the Night Tube. Picture: PA/Daniel Leal-Olivas

Labour candidate Sadiq Khan (left) and Conservative candidate Zac Goldsmith have shown support for the Night Tube. Picture: PA/Daniel Leal-Olivas

PA/Press Association Images

Just one week remains until voters head to the polls to decide who will run the capital.

The same person will also be in charge of the long-awaited Night Tube.

Originally due to begin in September last year, the service was plagued with a long-running dispute over work and pay conditions for night staff.

But once a deal was finally reached last month, Transport for London has now said it is set to start this August on two of its lines – though current Mayor of London Boris Johnson said he has been told it could start in July.

Whenever it happens, the new mayor will have a different battle on his or her hands – convincing residents that noise pollution

and leaping house prices won’t outweigh the benefits of the service.

The two front-runners spoke out in favour of the service last week. Conservative candidate Zac Goldsmith pledged to extend the Night Tube to all lines to help bolster the capital’s club scene.

Both he and Labour’s Sadiq Khan say they will make protecting the capital’s night economy a priority.

Mr Goldsmith said: “Once the Night Tube’s running I’ll look to extend it to the Metropolitan, District, Circle, and Hammersmith & City lines, as well the Overground in 2017 and DLR by 2021.”

Mr Khan promised that his London Plan “will make it more difficult to redevelop key cultural and heritage venues”.

Initially the Night Tube will run only on the Victoria and Jubilee lines, with services on the Piccadilly, Central and Northern lines following in September.

The whole of the Night Tube could be in operation for Friday, September 23, more than 12 months after its intended launchdate of September 12 last year.

Speaking about the delay, Mr Johnson said: “We’ve had to go a bit slower than I necessarily would have wanted.

“I thought Londoners would rather wait a little bit than we pay an exorbitant demand to get it done.”


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Newham Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Related articles

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Newham Recorder