Mayor donates toys for Newham Recorder Christmas Toy Appeal
- Credit: Archant
The mayor of Newham donated toys for the Newham Recorder Christmas Toy Appeal and urged residents and businesses to support this “worthy cause”.
Sir Robin Wales presented the toys to members of the appeal’s junior task force in Newham Dockside on November 13.
The 37th annual toy appeal was launched last week by Suggs, singer of the 80s pop group Madness, and is run by local charity Community Links and the Newham Recorder to provide toys to disadvantaged children in the borough for Christmas.
Sir Robin said: “I am delighted to be able to support this very important appeal.
“I am sure it will make a lot of young people very happy this Christmas.
You may also want to watch:
He added: “Every child matters, especially at this time of year.
“I encourage residents and businesses across the borough to try to do their bit for this worthy cause.”
- 1 Luxury hotel with artisan food market and rooftop bar to open in Stratford
- 2 Neighbour reports 'intolerable' antisocial car meets around ABBA Arena building site
- 3 Liverpool Street to Shenfield line suspended as person hit by train
- 4 Driver, 18, wanted for driving wrong way through Blackwall Tunnel
- 5 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 6 Campaigners claim ULEZ expansion benefit 'undone' by Silvertown Tunnel project
- 7 Capacity at West Ham's London stadium to increase to 62,500
- 8 WATCH: Footage emerges of Beckton Alps ski slope
- 9 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 10 Flying Hammers face testing week with games coming thick and fast
Michael Adkins, editor of the Recorder, said: “We’re very pleased to have the support of the mayor of Newham for this year’s toy appeal.
“This donation will help us fill the ‘empty room’ with toys and bring some joy to the lives of every child this Christmas.”
To find out more about the appeal including how to get involved call 020 7473 9685 or email email@example.com.
You can also follow the toy appeal on Twitter @NewhamRecorder for updates (#ToyAppeal).