Mary J Blige leaves Canning Town superfan speechless with surprise visit
- Credit: Archant
A superfan had her dreams come true when she was surprised with a special visit from Mary J Blige.
Rana Otemro, of Ford Park Road, in Canning Town, thought she was heading to a live stream of the singer’s performance from New York at a secret gig at The Village Underground, in Shoreditch.
However, she had no idea that the star had actually flown all the way in from the US to put on a special performance and meet her biggest fan.
Rana said: “I had no idea, I thought it was part of a documentary which I thought was something to do with promoting her new album.”
The 29-year-old believed she was one of 30 fans handpicked to attend the streaming event after the star identified her as a superfan through social media.
You may also want to watch:
Before heading to The Village Underground, Rana received a video message from the Family Affair singer inviting her to the live stream.
But Rana was left speechless when all of a sudden the big screen dropped to reveal the superstar singing Nobody But You during the gig.
- 1 Luxury hotel with artisan food market and rooftop bar to open in Stratford
- 2 WATCH: Footage emerges of Beckton Alps ski slope
- 3 Driver, 18, wanted for driving wrong way through Blackwall Tunnel
- 4 Liverpool Street to Shenfield line suspended as person hit by train
- 5 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 6 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 7 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 8 What's on across east London this weekend?
- 9 Parks in Newham triumph with Green Flag awards
- 10 Newham nursery schools praised for inclusion work
Rana said: “It was the best moment of my life. Mary J Blige is my icon – her music is so honest and real.
“When she appeared in front of my eyes, I had to turn around and check that my friends were seeing the same thing as me - I really couldn’t believe it.”
The superfan was also invited on stage to stand alongside her idol.
“It was weird and so crazy. I was really excited, I was actually standing next to Mary J Blige, I just couldn’t believe it.
“She was so down to earth and it was nice that she was so easy to talk to. She is beautiful and she made me feel comfortable.
“She also agreed to meet my two friends Payzee and Natalie who came with me.”
Rana met her icon through the MasterCard Priceless Surprises campaign.
During the visit, the singer said: “My fans inspire me to make music, they are the reason I do what I do. It was amazing to be part of this experience and surprise someone who has dedicated so much support to me – I have never surprised a fan on this scale before.”
Rana was surprised by Mary J Blige as part of the MasterCard 2015 BRITs Campaign.
Visit pricelesssurprises.co.uk for the chance to see Mary J Blige up close at an exclusive, intimate gig later this year.