Marseille midfielder pens �2 million West Ham deal
Transfer news: Alou Diarra signs three year contract
West Ham have swooped to sign France international midfielder Alou Diarra from Marseille in a deal said to be worth around �2 million.
The 31-year-old, who has signed a three-year contract, can operate as a defensive midfielder or as a centre back and provides a wealth of experience to a West Ham squad that assistant manager Neil McDonald described as ‘thinnish’ last week.
Diarra has been capped 44 times for his country, including playing in both the 2010 World Cup and this summer’s European Championships.
He has won the French title twice and played nearly 30 times in the Champions League as well as captaining his country.
You may also want to watch:
The six feet three inch Frenchman will not be a stranger when he arrives at Upton Park either, he already knows Guy Demel, Mo Diame and Modibo Maiga.
“I am very happy to be here at West Ham – everything is signed now which is good and I am excited to be here,” he said.
- 1 Luxury hotel with artisan food market and rooftop bar to open in Stratford
- 2 Neighbour reports 'intolerable' antisocial car meets around ABBA Arena building site
- 3 Liverpool Street to Shenfield line suspended as person hit by train
- 4 Driver, 18, wanted for driving wrong way through Blackwall Tunnel
- 5 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 6 WATCH: Footage emerges of Beckton Alps ski slope
- 7 Capacity at West Ham's London stadium to increase to 62,500
- 8 Campaigners claim ULEZ expansion benefit 'undone' by Silvertown Tunnel project
- 9 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 10 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
“I know a lot about West Ham as a club and when I knew they were interested in signing me, I was very happy and knew it would be a good choice for me.
“I see this as my chance in the Premier League to do well with West Ham. I hope that my experience can help and the fans will see me give my all in the matches.”