Manor Park youngsters raise cash for New Year trip
Young people organised a festive fair in Manor Park to engage with the community this Christmas and raise �250 for their youth club.
Dost Youth Club, based at St Barnabus Church in Browning Road, is a project by Newham charity The Trinity Centre for children and young people who have been separated from their families at home and abroad.
They meet twice weekly to do various activities such as sport, art, cooking, bike projects, educational workshops, trips and residentials in order to enhance their skills, rebuild their lives and become active members of their communities.
Nine young people aged 11 to 18, from India, Afghanistan and the UK, organised the event on Saturday which ran from 10am to 4pm in the church.
They advertised the event, set up, served customers, painted faces, decorated visitors’ hands with mehndi and packed up afterwards.
You may also want to watch:
Youngsters involved in the Christmas fair were Christine Kiribira, 11, Pardeep Singh, 13, Jamil Naim, 14, Raman Singh, 15, Danish Mohammed Khan, 15, Navjot Singh, 16, Muhin Khan Latifi, 17, Maryam Hussain, 18 and Marcus Kelly Whyte, 18.
The money raised will be used to take the Dost Youth Club on a trip in the New Year.
- 1 Architects awarded £300K contract for Stratford Station makeover
- 2 Blaze under control at block of flats being built in Canning Town
- 3 Rumours over empty Stratford estate homes quashed in meeting
- 4 Family of man who died after attack in Canning Town pays tribute to a 'loving, generous' father
- 5 Flights from London City Airport to Switzerland resume as hub readies for return to international travel
- 6 Stratford fast food shop destroyed by 'deep fat fryer' blaze
- 7 Pearce believes camaraderie has given West Ham a chance of making Europe
- 8 Woman arrested in Custom House fatal stabbing and shooting investigation
- 9 Two Levels FC youngsters seal deals with Football League clubs
- 10 Mayor pledges to continue focus on election promises after Newham referendum result