Manor Park students learn that female role models are everywhere
Students at Little Ilford School took part in a fortnight of activities to mark International Women’s Day.
They took part in lunchtime discussions about a range of subjects includinng women in the workplace and being a modern feminist.
Representatives from NHS Shine Newham also attended the school in Browning Road, Manor Park to educate the students on health awareness.
There were visits from inspirational speakers from KPMG and HSBC, made possible by the school’s partner the East London Business Alliance (ELBA).
Female staff shared their experiences with students and gave up their time to run sessions throughout the fortnight.
You may also want to watch:
Student Nada Mahdi, 14, said: “The most valuable lesson that these past couple of weeks have taught me is that role models and inspirational women can be your little sister to one of your favourite teachers. I realised that we have inspirational women everywhere who we need to reach out to.”
Angela Louka, Head of Year 8, who helped to organise the activities, said: “International Women’s Fortnight at Little Ilford is an opportunity to celebrate the social, political and economic achievements of women that have made a difference to our lives. We hope that our young women have been inspired to make a difference by the events we have run and the women they have had opportunity to meet over it.”
- 1 Take a peek inside The Boleyn Tavern as it prepares to welcome punters
- 2 Investigation launched after two young men stabbed in Newham
- 3 Looking back: five years since West Ham United left the Boleyn
- 4 Met launches summer operation as teen killings surge
- 5 Demand for urgent action as Newham lags behind in Covid-19 jabs
- 6 Arrests in Ilford and East Ham as police target suspected county lines gang
- 7 Tokyo or bust for Newham Beagles and Olympic hero Sir Mo Farah
- 8 Charting Jack the Ripper's 'rival' in the West Ham murders
- 9 How Ben Levinson OBE has helped turn around Kensington Primary School
- 10 The Boleyn Tavern in East Ham to welcome back punters after £1.5m restoration