Manor Park school girl awarded for help following house fire

Natalia 13, from Manor Park was praised by the fire brigade for her quick thinking when she spotted

Natalia 13, from Manor Park was praised by the fire brigade for her quick thinking when she spotted a fire and dialled 999. - Credit: Archant

A brave school girl from Manor Park has been recognised for her help in saving a young family after a house fire broke out last week.

General view of 378 Barking Road in East Ham, which was the scene of a fire last week.

General view of 378 Barking Road in East Ham, which was the scene of a fire last week. - Credit: Vickie Flores

Natalia Kalisz, 13, of Second Avenue, was returning home from school when she came across the smoke-logged house in Barking Road, East Ham at about 4.20pm.

The Langdon Academy student, was later awarded with a certificate of bravery for calling the fire service after she heard 53-year-old mum, Hozan Ibrahim, screaming for help because her children were trapped inside the burning home.

Natalia was soon joined by Sanjay Singh, 26, who risked his own life and forced open the front-door to rescue 10-year-old Jamilla Ibrahim along with her 18-year-old brother Haroon.

Natalia said: “There was a lot of smoke coming out of the window and I heard the mum shouting. I knew I had to help.


You may also want to watch:


“I’ve been taught to love my neighbours and I wanted to do what I could.

After the man rescued the children I stayed with them and the mum until the ambulance arrived.”

Most Read

As the fire crews from East Ham and Plaistow arrived Natalia stood on the street corner to flag them down.

She said: “As I was walking away the fireman stopped me to tell me how good it was that I raised the alarm. If I hadn’t called when I did, the incident could have been a lot worse.”

Natalia’s mum, Karolina Kalisz, added: “I’m very proud of my daughter. When she came home and told me about it I couldn’t believe it at first.

“She’s a very brave girl and she is able to control her emotions which is important in these kind of situations.”

The fire is likely to have started from unattended cooking when Mrs Ibrahim popped out leaving Haroon to look after the house.

Nobody was injured in the incident.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter