Search

Manor Park restaurant fire caused by ‘flammable material in ducting’

PUBLISHED: 12:05 24 December 2019 | UPDATED: 12:05 24 December 2019

Investigators believe a fire at this restuarant on Romford Road in Manor Park on December 20 was caused by flammable material in the ducting. Picture: London Fire Brigade

Investigators believe a fire at this restuarant on Romford Road in Manor Park on December 20 was caused by flammable material in the ducting. Picture: London Fire Brigade

Archant

Firefighters have reminded restaurant and takeaway shop owners to ensure extraction systems are kept clean following a fire in Manor Park.

London Fire Brigade investigators believe a blaze at a Romford Road restaurant on December 20 was accidental and caused by a build up of flammable material in the ducting.

The ducting from the ground floor to the roof of the restaurant was destroyed and a small part of the first floor was also damaged.

You may also want to watch:

A London Fire Brigade spokesman said: "This is an ideal opportunity to remind restaurant and takeaway owners to always make sure their extraction systems are kept clean as a build up of fat and grease within the filters can lead to a fire."

Five people escaped the property and there were no reported injuries.

The brigade was called at 4.23pm, with 25 firefighters from Plaistow, Woodford, and Ilford stations on scene.

They had the fire under control by 6.26pm.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Newham Recorder. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad. Coronavirus is one of the greatest challenges our community has ever faced, but if we all play our part we will defeat it. We're here to serve as your advocate and trusted source of local information.

In these testing times, your support is more important than ever. Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Newham Recorder