Manor Park man who drove car into Muslims in Stepney jailed for 12 years
- Credit: Archant
A man who drove his white Range Rover into three Muslims celebrating Eid has been jailed for 12 years.
Akikul Islam, 25, from Stanley Road, Manor Park, ploughed into the group in Frimley Way, Stepney, at about 1am on Thursday, July 7, 2016.
After admitting two counts of causing grievous bodily harm at the Old Bailey on Monday, May 15, he was sentenced on Wednesday, July 5, with Det Insp Chris Soole from Tower Hamlets police saying Islam had weaponised his car.
“This sentence reflects the gravity of his actions that day,” he said. “Islam was behind the wheel of a Range Roger which he used as a weapon when he deliberately drove at a group of men who were celebrating Eid-al-Fitr.
“Two of the men required hospital treatment, one of whom is still receiving medical care. It is fortunate that no one else was harmed.”
You may also want to watch:
Islam arrived in Frimley Way in the company of another car, with CCTV footage showing three other men get out of the two cars before becoming involved in a row with about 10 males.
Islam stayed in his car as the row escalated into a fight with baseball bats and bottles.
- 1 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 2 Road and rail disruptions to expect in east London this week
- 3 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 4 Forest Gate triple shooting: 'Safety is everybody's business,' councillor says
- 5 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 6 Car abandoned after triple shooting and stabbing at Forest Gate barber
- 7 Antonio 'surprised' to score West Ham winner against Tottenham
- 8 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 9 Tom Hiddleston to appear as MCM Comic Con returns to ExCeL London in Royal Docks
- 10 Moyes praises determination of squad as West Ham beat rivals Tottenham
As his companion’s car left the scene, Islam was surrounded by the fight.
He ploughed his car into the group, running over a 24-year-old before crashing into a parked car. He then positioned his car so he could secure a clean exit down Alderney Road, but instead reversed his car at the group, running over a 20-year-old along with the man he’d already hit.
He drove forward with both men stuck under his wheels, collided with another parked car and drove off down Alderney Road.
Police and paramedics attended the scene and the two injured men were taken to hospital.
The 20-year-old suffered critical injuries and is still receiving treatment.
The 24-year-old was discharged after his treatment.
At 3am, police patrolling Vallance Road, Bethnal Green, saw Islam’s car being towed and found it had been leased to him, leading to his arrest on Monday, August 8, 2016.
Further analysis of the CCTV footage showed Islam targeted another man. It is not known what the severity of his injuries were.