Manor Park ‘house of horrors’ with outside toilet is converted into smart bedsits
- Credit: Archant
One of the borough’s worst ever slum homes where tenants were forced to use an outside toilet has been converted into smart bedsits.
The rundown three-bedroom property in Fourth Avenue, Manor Park, was so gruesome it was dubbed the “house of horrors” when it was uncovered by Newham Council.
A family with two young children were paying £700 a month to live in the damp and dangerous house which had a rotting staircase and floorboards and exposed electrical wiring and walls.
It was in danger of collapsing as the chimney breasts hade been removed but no reinforcements were put in place to make it structurally safe
In addition the tenants were forced to use a sink to wash in and rely on a filthy fridge freezer in the garden near the outside loo.
You may also want to watch:
The landlord was served with a prohibition notice which banned him from renting it out until the property was made safe which was ignored.
However they later sold the property after being threatened with legal action and the new owner has returned it to a liveable state.
- 1 Second jabs hub opening at Westfield as ExCeL London vaccination centre soon to close
- 2 Ex-student who got MIT scholarship sets up tutor business to help others
- 3 'Council houses now': Protesters stage action over empty homes
- 4 Newham foster carers on 'most rewarding and uplifting experience'
- 5 Feminism, corner shops and bricks: Here's what's happening in Newham Heritage Month
- 6 Website helps disadvantaged youth understand job roles to raise aspirations
- 7 Anonymous tip off could hold key to murder of Sami Sidhom three years later
- 8 Newham to start weekly recycling collections
- 9 Call The Midwife stars meet Bonny Downs staff and families
- 10 Police officer jailed for GBH after injuring man in Forest Gate
Following an environmental health inspection the prohibition order had been lifted and the new owner now lets it through a professional agent.
The three-storey, four bedroom house has been given a licence to operate as a House in Multiple Occupation (HMO) for up to 10 people.
Councillor John Gray, cabinet member for housing, said: “This was one of the most shocking and appalling cases of a rogue landlord exploiting desperate and vulnerable people we have ever seen in the borough.
“The property was a death trap, and blight on the whole street, posing a serious hazard not only to the tenants but also to neighbours.”
“Through hard work and persistence the property licensing team has restored this property to decent much needed accommodation. It underlines the crucial importance of private property licensing and has seen a criminal landlord driven out of business.”
All rented homes in Newham must have a licence.
Landlords found without one could face a financial penalty notice of up to £30,000 or the courts could impose an unlimited fine.