Manor Park care home volunteers strut their stuff for healthier lives
Two care homes in Manor Park got out and about last week to encourage their community to get moving.
Setting off at 11am from Valentines Park in nearby Ilford, volunteers from Bakers Court Nursing Centre, Little Ilford Lane and Mornington Hall Residential and Nursing Home, Whitta Road, held a ‘Memory Walk’ to show the health benefits of regular exercise.
Walking 15 minutes more every day can add up to three years to life expectancy, according to a recent report by private care home provider Bupa entitled Get Walking, Keep Walking.
Clare Baldock, home manager of Bakers Court, said: “We can all do our bit to promote healthy living, whether that’s building a couple more steps into everyday routines or making sure you walk further than you usually do. It’s all about doing that extra bit each day.”
The Memory Walk is the result of a partnership between the Alzheimer’s Society and Bupa as part of their Walk to a Well World week, from September 17 to 23.
You may also want to watch:
Siobhan Drane, Bupa Care Homes’ community and partnerships manager, said: “From incorporating more movement into everyday life through organising push-a-thons for those who are unable to walk, everyone can get involved and enjoy being more active.”
To find out more about local Walk to a Well World events, email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.bupa.co.uk/walking.
- 1 Blaze under control at block of flats being built in Canning Town
- 2 Family of man who died after attack in Canning Town pays tribute to a 'loving, generous' father
- 3 Two Levels FC youngsters seal deals with Football League clubs
- 4 Stratford fast food shop destroyed by 'deep fat fryer' blaze
- 5 Mayor pledges to continue focus on election promises after Newham referendum result
- 6 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 7 Mayor of Newham: 'Supporting young people after tragedies'
- 8 Unmesh Desai on his priorities after winning City and East election
- 9 Call for 'zero tolerance' crackdown on Newham gangs
- 10 Woman arrested in Custom House fatal stabbing and shooting investigation