Man suffers burns in workshop fire in Upton Park: Residents evacuated
A MAN suffered burns during a fire at a vehicle repair workshop in Upton Park.
Fire, police and ambulance officers were called to the blaze in Barking Road near Green street.
The man escaped with burns to his face and hands and was taken to Newham General Hospital for treatment.
Six fire appliances were called to the scene and tackled the blaze for around two hours.
Just under 200 residents of nearby buildings were evacuated to a community centre for a short time while the fire was put out.
You may also want to watch:
Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus tackled the fire and the evacuation was ordered as it was believed that cylinders were involved. But this proved not to be the case.
The fire was initially further complicated by the presence of an old asbestos roof.
- 1 Fried chicken outlet to open at Westfield in Stratford
- 2 More than 20 places in Newham hit by flooding, council says
- 3 Clean-up underway after flash floods hit Newham
- 4 Tributes to Pearly King of Newham who has died aged 79
- 5 School's out!: Newham puts on jam-packed summer holiday activities programme
- 6 Ceiling panels collapse and operations cancelled at hospital after flooding
- 7 The secondary schools in Newham rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 8 Queen's 1983 visit to St Mary Magdalene's marked with unveiling of new plaque
- 9 Kitchens from independent chefs coming to Beckton in Raymond Blanc-supported project
- 10 Tracey Emin sculpture unveiled at The Line art trail in Three Mills
A London Fire Brigade spokeswoman said part of the building was destroyed.
The fire happened at just before 7pm on Friday evening. The fire was put out by just after 9pm. Residents were allowed back into their homes shortly afterwards.
The man who was injured escaped the blaze before fire crews arrived. He was taken to hospital by London Ambulance Service.