Man rescued from Stratford house fire
- Credit: sub
Firefighters rescued a man from a first floor window in Stratford last night.
Two fire engines from Stratford and Plaistow stations attended a house fire in Vaughan Road after being called out at 11.33pm
They rescued the man, who was not injured but had become trapped by smoke and flames downstairs, and the fire was out by 00.25am.
Two women escaped the property before fire crews arrived and were taken to hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation and minor burns.
The fire, which is believed to have started when clothes were left next to a fan heater, damaged part of a ground floor bedroom.
You may also want to watch:
Watch Manager Thomas Gilson, from Stratford fire station, who was at the scene, said: “The fire started in the back bedroom, and one of the occupants tried to fight the fire herself with pans of water.
“You should never try and fight a fire yourself – you risk getting hurt and making the incident worse.
- 1 Hospitality Day 2021: Newham's favourite cafe, pub and restaurant revealed
- 2 David Gomoh's killers jailed 101 years total for Canning Town murder
- 3 Plans to ease congestion at Stratford station receive £2m boost
- 4 Otas Sarkus: Two charged with murder after fatal shooting
- 5 Watch the moment 'stolen' car drives into vehicles in East Ham
- 6 Kacem Mokrane: Newham man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 7 Jailed: Robbers who targeted OAPs at east London cashpoints
- 8 Steven Fry stabbing: Custom House victim named in murder investigation
- 9 Machetes, zombie and lock knives: Five plead guilty after police seize 128 weapons in Plaistow
- 10 Jailed: 'Sadistically cruel' East Ham man who raped, assaulted victim
“Firefighters have the proper skills and equipment to tackle a fire safely, so always get out, stay out, and call 999 if you have one.”
Fires caused by electrical heaters have resulted in 11 deaths and nearly 80 injuries over the past five winters, and most are preventable.