Search

Man rescued from Stratford house fire

PUBLISHED: 14:30 31 January 2014 | UPDATED: 14:30 31 January 2014

Two fire engines attended the scene in Vaughan Road

Two fire engines attended the scene in Vaughan Road

sub

Firefighters rescued a man from a first floor window in Stratford last night.

London Fire Brigade’s tips for avoiding a heater fire

• Never sit too close to the heater as you could set light to your clothes or chair, especially if you fall asleep

• Heaters should stand where they can’t be knocked over, away from beds, furniture and fabrics

• Do not put anything on the heater or use it to dry clothes

Two fire engines from Stratford and Plaistow stations attended a house fire in Vaughan Road after being called out at 11.33pm

They rescued the man, who was not injured but had become trapped by smoke and flames downstairs, and the fire was out by 00.25am.

Two women escaped the property before fire crews arrived and were taken to hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation and minor burns.

The fire, which is believed to have started when clothes were left next to a fan heater, damaged part of a ground floor bedroom.

Watch Manager Thomas Gilson, from Stratford fire station, who was at the scene, said: “The fire started in the back bedroom, and one of the occupants tried to fight the fire herself with pans of water.

“You should never try and fight a fire yourself – you risk getting hurt and making the incident worse.

“Firefighters have the proper skills and equipment to tackle a fire safely, so always get out, stay out, and call 999 if you have one.”

Fires caused by electrical heaters have resulted in 11 deaths and nearly 80 injuries over the past five winters, and most are preventable.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Newham Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Newham Recorder