Man flees factory blaze in Forest Gate
A young man had a lucky escape from a fire at a button factory in Forest Gate overnight after it is believed he fell asleep while smoking.
Two fire engines attended the scene in Bristol Road after the London Fire Brigade was called at about 4.05am this morning.
A man believed to be in his 20s escaped from a two-bedroom flat on fire upstairs from the factory before the arrival of fire crews. He was taken to hospital and treated for smoke inhalation. Nobody else was found inside the building, according to firefighters.
Inside firefighters found a factory producing thousands of buttons downstairs while the upstairs appeared to be used as an occupancy for sleeping, according to a firefighter.
The building was also connected from the inside to two houses, one either side of the factory, firefighters discovered.
You may also want to watch:
A spokesman for the London Fire Bridage said: “We believe the occupant fell asleep while smoking. The flat did not have any smoke detectors, so this man is very lucky indeed to have escaped without serious injury.
“You should never smoke in bed as there is a danger of falling asleep and causing a fire. Always make sure your cigarettes are completely extinguished before disposing of them.”
- 1 Investigation launched after two young men stabbed in Newham
- 2 Dagenham & Redbridge interested in former Leyton Orient full-back Sam Ling
- 3 The Boleyn Tavern in East Ham to welcome back punters after £1.5m restoration
- 4 Arrests in Ilford and East Ham as police target suspected county lines gang
- 5 11 films and TV shows shot in Newham
- 6 US burger chain Wendy's set to open first London restaurant in Stratford
- 7 Exploding aerosol cans 'contributed to rapid spread' of Silvertown blaze
- 8 Looking back: five years since West Ham United left the Boleyn
- 9 Stabbing victim 'pursued attackers in his car and crashed into them'
- 10 Free summer school offers music, fashion, hip hop dance and more
Firefighters believe the man’s cigarette caught fire with his mattress.
Ten firefighters from East Ham and Stratford fire stations helped bring the fire under control by 5am. Part of the upstairs flat was damaged by the fire.