Search

Man flees factory blaze in Forest Gate

PUBLISHED: 11:52 28 September 2012 | UPDATED: 15:57 28 September 2012

sub

A young man had a lucky escape from a fire at a button factory in Forest Gate overnight after it is believed he fell asleep while smoking.

Two fire engines attended the scene in Bristol Road after the London Fire Brigade was called at about 4.05am this morning.

A man believed to be in his 20s escaped from a two-bedroom flat on fire upstairs from the factory before the arrival of fire crews. He was taken to hospital and treated for smoke inhalation. Nobody else was found inside the building, according to firefighters.

Inside firefighters found a factory producing thousands of buttons downstairs while the upstairs appeared to be used as an occupancy for sleeping, according to a firefighter.

The building was also connected from the inside to two houses, one either side of the factory, firefighters discovered.

A spokesman for the London Fire Bridage said: “We believe the occupant fell asleep while smoking. The flat did not have any smoke detectors, so this man is very lucky indeed to have escaped without serious injury.

“You should never smoke in bed as there is a danger of falling asleep and causing a fire. Always make sure your cigarettes are completely extinguished before disposing of them.”

Firefighters believe the man’s cigarette caught fire with his mattress.

Ten firefighters from East Ham and Stratford fire stations helped bring the fire under control by 5am. Part of the upstairs flat was damaged by the fire.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Newham Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Newham Recorder