Man dies in ‘suspicious’ house fire in East Ham
A MAN has died during a house fire in East Ham last night.
Firefighters found the body as they were tackling the blaze at the terraced house in Tilbury Road, shortly after 8pm.
A woman and her two children escaped from the fire and were taken to hospital by ambulance suffering from smoke inhalation, a spokesman for London Fire Brigade said.
More than 20 firefighters wearing breathing apparatus tackled the blaze at the family home.
Scotland Yard said it was believed the cause of the blaze was suspicious but detailed forensic examinations were now taking place.
The Fire Brigade’s Fire Investigation Unit was probing the cause of the fire.
Four fire appliances were called to the blaze. The body of the man was found in a first floor bedroom.
- 1 Convicted: Forest Gate man plotted contract killing of Rotterdam blogger
- 2 Men from Newham and Bow among seven jailed in organised crime crackdown
- 3 Gallery: Hidden photos reveal London's East End in the 1960s
- 4 Motorcyclist, 19, died in hospital after A13 crash near Beckton flyover
- 5 New youth hub set for Stratford Park
- 6 Rail disruptions and roadworks in your area over the next week
- 7 Newham man among UK's 'most wanted fugitives' who may be hiding in Spain
- 8 Jailed: Teen who inflicted life-changing injuries as he squirted acid in boy's face
- 9 100 people leave Stratford block of flats after fire breaks out
- 10 New documentary on murders of women whose bodies were hidden in freezer
A post mortem will be carried out on the victim tomorrow at East Ham