Major fire in Canning Town: Traffic diversions in place
Ten fire engines and around 50 firefighters were called to a fire in a range of storage units under Tidal Basin Road, off Silvertown Way, in Canning Town last night.
Around half of the units, which are believed to be derelict, were affected by the fire.
Speaking from the scene Station Manager Peter Critchell said: “The pitch black conditions and lay out of the buildings made this a challenging incident for our crews but they have worked extremely hard to bring this fire under control.”
The Brigade was called at 6.41pm and the fire was under control just before 11pm.
Firefighters are likely to remain at the scene for some time damping down the deep seated pockets of fire that remain.
You may also want to watch:
Crews from Silvertown, Poplar, Plaistow, Stratford, Bow and Barking fire stations are still at the scene this morning. The cause of the fire is not known at this stage and will be investigated.
Diversions have been set up in Tidal Basin Road, Canning Town and parts of Victoria Dock Road are closed, resulting in delays for motorists and bus passengers.
- 1 Vandal targets St Antony statue outside church in Forest Gate
- 2 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
- 3 Rumours over empty Stratford estate homes quashed in meeting
- 4 Architects awarded £300K contract for Stratford Station makeover
- 5 'Petrified' cat reunited with kittens after 'pursuit' in Canning Town
- 6 Family of man who died after attack in Canning Town pays tribute to a 'loving, generous' father
- 7 Kenny Jackett emerges as odds-on favourite for Leyton Orient job
- 8 Blaze under control at block of flats being built in Canning Town
- 9 Newham saw no deaths from Covid-19 at the end of April, figures show
- 10 Flights from London City Airport to Switzerland resume as hub readies for return to international travel