Major fire in Canning Town: Traffic diversions in place
Ten fire engines and around 50 firefighters were called to a fire in a range of storage units under Tidal Basin Road, off Silvertown Way, in Canning Town last night.
Around half of the units, which are believed to be derelict, were affected by the fire.
Speaking from the scene Station Manager Peter Critchell said: “The pitch black conditions and lay out of the buildings made this a challenging incident for our crews but they have worked extremely hard to bring this fire under control.”
The Brigade was called at 6.41pm and the fire was under control just before 11pm.
Firefighters are likely to remain at the scene for some time damping down the deep seated pockets of fire that remain.
You may also want to watch:
Crews from Silvertown, Poplar, Plaistow, Stratford, Bow and Barking fire stations are still at the scene this morning. The cause of the fire is not known at this stage and will be investigated.
Diversions have been set up in Tidal Basin Road, Canning Town and parts of Victoria Dock Road are closed, resulting in delays for motorists and bus passengers.
- 1 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 2 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 3 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 4 Man given community order for 26 counts of criminal damage after scratching name into property
- 5 Forest Gate triple shooting: 'Safety is everybody's business,' councillor says
- 6 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 7 Worshippers at mosque in Upton Park aim to raise £35k for Royal British Legion's Poppy Appeal 2021
- 8 'Cheating surge': Dating site reveals how many people are having affairs in your area
- 9 Newham mathematician to fill in for Countdown presenter and expectant mum Rachel Riley
- 10 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines