‘Lucky’ escape for Plaistow residents after candles cause house fire
A fire in Plaistow, which forced five people to flee their home, has sparked a warning over the dangers of lit candles.
The blaze took hold of a first floor bedroom in Ravenhill Road.
It was caused when tea lights were left unattended. The three men, one woman and teenager were unhurt.
Firefighters from Plaistow and East Ham tackled the incident at around 10.30pm on January 18. The house did not contain any working smoke alarms.
Today, a London Fire Brigade spokesman said the residents were “extremely lucky” that no-one was injured.
You may also want to watch:
He added: “Candles cause hundreds of fires across the capital each year so it’s vital you take care when using them.
“Always make sure your candles are fully out once you leave the room or go to bed. You should also place them well away from flammable items, like curtains, furniture or anything else that can catch fire.
- 1 Two Levels FC youngsters seal deals with Football League clubs
- 2 Stratford fast food shop destroyed by 'deep fat fryer' blaze
- 3 Mayor pledges to continue focus on election promises after Newham referendum result
- 4 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 5 Mayor of Newham: 'Supporting young people after tragedies'
- 6 Unmesh Desai on his priorities after winning City and East election
- 7 Call for 'zero tolerance' crackdown on Newham gangs
- 8 Woman arrested in Custom House fatal stabbing and shooting investigation
- 9 Blaze under control at block of flats being built in Canning Town
- 10 Family of man who died after attack in Canning Town pays tribute to a 'loving, generous' father
For more information on smoke alarm installation, visit www.london-fire.gov.uk