Search

‘Lucky’ escape for Plaistow residents after candles cause house fire

PUBLISHED: 16:45 23 January 2012

The house did not have any working smoke alarms

The house did not have any working smoke alarms

sub

A fire in Plaistow, which forced five people to flee their home, has sparked a warning over the dangers of lit candles.

The blaze took hold of a first floor bedroom in Ravenhill Road.

It was caused when tea lights were left unattended. The three men, one woman and teenager were unhurt.

Firefighters from Plaistow and East Ham tackled the incident at around 10.30pm on January 18. The house did not contain any working smoke alarms.

Today, a London Fire Brigade spokesman said the residents were “extremely lucky” that no-one was injured.

He added: “Candles cause hundreds of fires across the capital each year so it’s vital you take care when using them.

“Always make sure your candles are fully out once you leave the room or go to bed. You should also place them well away from flammable items, like curtains, furniture or anything else that can catch fire.

For more information on smoke alarm installation, visit www.london-fire.gov.uk


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Newham Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Newham Recorder