Lorry driver scarred after Custom House brick attack
A delivery driver who survived a terrifying brick attack on his lorry during last year’s August riots says he has been scarred for life both mentally and physically.
Manuel Silva, 47, suffered a fractured skull when a gang of youths targeted his vehicle while it was driving in Prince Regents Lane, Custom House.
The father of two credits quick treatment by two officers for saving his life after he eventually escaped the attack at 4.45pm on August 9.
More than six months on, police have issued an appeal in a bid to catch the thugs.
Mr Silva was forced to cancel a planned visit to his children and has not been able to work full-time since. The assailants are still on the loose.
He said: “I just remember the windscreen being smashed and the rock hitting me and the blood pouring out of my forehead.
“I was really shocked. It still comes into my dreams and is still a part of my life now.”
- 1 3 arrests after death of man found unresponsive in Beckton
- 2 Jailed: Forest Gate serial arsonist who started more than two dozen fires
- 3 Maryland machete murderer found guilty - as police hunt second attacker
- 4 Have you seen Lisa, 47, who is missing from Forest Gate?
- 5 Jailed: 8 east London offenders put behind bars in June
- 6 Police officer sacked for 'turning blind eye’ to criminal husband
- 7 The Rolling Stones prove rock ‘n’ roll is alive and kicking at Hyde Park
- 8 E-fit released after woman sexually assaulted in Newham
- 9 Inside east London's new £30m Olympic-size ice centre
- 10 Manor Park house fire leaves adults and child in hospital
His operation at Newham General Hospital involved having a metal plate inserted in his skull. He also required treatment for blurred vision and suffered from migraines.
Mr Silva, from Dagenham, was unable to carry out his job delivering fruit and vegetables to market stalls in east London, and had to struggle by on �480 in two months.
He added: “I can still remember it, but I am alive by the grace of God. It has changed the course of my life.”
The suspects are described as a group of five black teenagers wearing hoodies.
Investigating officer, Det Con David Tate, said: “This was a serious unprovoked assault on a hard-working man trying to get on with his job.”
To assist, contact 020 7275 4353 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.