London’s biggest beach created at Royal Victoria Dock
- Credit: Archant
Sitting on the dock of the bay this summer could mean being surrounded by sandcastles after the creation of London’s biggest beach in Newham.
More than 200 tonnes of sand were used to transform part of what were once the world’s largest enclosed docks into an urban seaside resort —sitting underneath the Emirates Airlines Cable Car and behind the Siemens Crystal building.
Part of the inspiration for the beach came from the annual Paris Plage in France where areas along the river Seine are transformed to Riviera-style settings.
Mayor of Newham Sir Robin Wales said: “Life really will be a beach for everyone at the Royal Docks this summer. This is London’s most unique entertainment space, just yards from a DLR station.”
The beach, which is big enough to fit ten London buses on it, will host a range of family activities including theatre performances, arts workshops and live music.
It will also have a children’s play area during the summer holiday.
Working with arts events team The Brick Box, a nine-week summer programme has been organised for the beach.
- 1 Alexandra Burke: Stratford Christmas concert cancelled over 'safety fears'
- 2 'Extremely violent' Forest Gate robbery filmed by onlookers
- 3 East London man charged with six terrorism offences
- 4 'We have been failed': Newham families face eviction by council
- 5 Multi-vehicle collision in Canning Town leads to one driver being cut free
- 6 What are the chances of a white Christmas in London?
- 7 Nine rescue pets looking for homes this Christmas in east London
- 8 Burglar posing as police officer 'preyed upon the elderly'
- 9 Newham residents urged to shop local on Small Business Saturday
- 10 Westfield bar's licence under threat after girl raped
The project is also providing eight Newham residents with jobs as beach attendants through the council’s Workplace scheme.
The beach is available for free bookings and use by sports groups, community groups and residents.
The beach will be open to the public until September 21. ‘Super Saturdays’ with special events will run from 12noon until 8pm.
Visit www.newham.com/summer for more information on activities.
*To see a picture gallery of Newham Beach, click on the multimedia link on the right hand side.