London mayoral elections: Less than 100 days until polls open
- Credit: PA WIRE
In less than 100 days Londoners will elect their new mayor.
Filling the shoes of incumbent mayor Boris Johnson will be no mean feat, at least not in terms of the publicity the Conservative politician has generated over his eight-year tenure.
That said, candidates are already making headlines with the kind of electioneering we’ve come to expect from the campaign trail and at least one surprising policy announcement.
In the running (in alphabetical order) from the main political parties are:
Caroline Pidgeon (Liberal Democrats)
Who is she? London Assembly member since 2008 and a former Southwark councillor for 12 years, where she still lives, after moving to London in 1994. Caroline is deputy chair of the assembly’s transport and police and crime committees. Find out more here.
You may also want to watch:
George Galloway (Respect)
Who is he? The former MP for Bradford West, George is perhaps best known for his spell on Celebrity Big Brother back in 2006 and is certainly one of the biggest personalities in this mayoral election race. Find out more here.
Peter Whittle (Ukip)
Who is he? According to his website, Peter is a former TV producer and journalist of 15 years who grew up in London. He has spent the past two years as Ukip’s culture spokesman and has run as a candidate in the European, local and general elections. Find out more here.
- 1 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 2 Tom Hiddleston to appear as MCM Comic Con returns to ExCeL London in Royal Docks
- 3 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 4 Forest Gate triple shooting: 'Safety is everybody's business,' councillor says
- 5 Worshippers at mosque in Upton Park aim to raise £35k for Royal British Legion's Poppy Appeal 2021
- 6 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 7 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 8 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 9 Car abandoned after triple shooting and stabbing at Forest Gate barber
- 10 Westfield Stratford City reopens after shop fire caused by electrical fault
Sadiq Khan (Labour)
Who is he? Born in London to working class Pakistani parents, Sadiq spent time as a human rights lawyer before he was elected MP for Tooting in 2005. He became the first Muslim and the first Asian to attend cabinet, taking on roles as community cohesion and transport minister. He played an integral role in Labour’s general election campaign last year. Find out more here.
Sian Berry (Green)
Who is she? A member of the Green Party since 2001 and a Camden Council member since 2014, this is Sian’s second time as candidate for Mayor of London having campaigned in 2008. She has already raised eyebrows with her policy to shut down city airport and build more housing in its place. Find out more here.
Zac Goldsmith (Conservative)
Who is he? Raised in Richmond, south west London, Zac was elected MP for Richmond Park and North Kingston in 2010. Zac is a keen environmentalist and before becoming an MP spent ten years at Ecologist Magazine. Find out more here.
Keep checking back for the latest news and interviews with your candidates for London mayor.