London Lions tour new home in Olympic Park
- Credit: Archant
London’s only professional basketball team paid a visit to their new home which is under construction in the Olympic Park.
The London Lions will be the first sports team to move into the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park when it re-opens this summer.
The basketball players were granted an access all areas pass to view the transformation of the £55m Copper Box into a public arena where they will be based.
The 7,500 seater venue will be open with the rest of the park on July 27 and it will be operated by GLL on behalf of the London Legacy Development Corporation (LLDC).
Two players, Orlan Jackman and Laurent Irish, are particularly excited about moving into the Copper Box as they grew up in nearby Hackney.
Orlan said: “It’s one thing to play in my home city but this is really playing at home.”
- 1 Man jailed for rape after attacking woman walking back from Canning Town
- 2 'London is moving east': City Hall's Crystal move confirmed for New Year
- 3 Alexandra Burke: Stratford Christmas concert cancelled over 'safety fears'
- 4 Masks, PCR tests and boosters: New measures to combat Omicron variant
- 5 'Extremely violent' Forest Gate robbery filmed by onlookers
- 6 Waitrose and Halfords recall items over health and safety concerns
- 7 Westfield bar's licence under threat after girl raped
- 8 12 people wanted after unlinked Newham robberies
- 9 East London man charged with six terrorism offences
- 10 Nine rescue pets looking for homes this Christmas in east London