London gets �25million for faster broadband
London is to be awarded �25million to provide superfast broadband.
The money from the Department for Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS) follows a bid by London Mayor Boris Johnson for funding to increase connectivity onnectivity across East London and improve superfast broadband around Tech City in Shoreditch.
Mr Johnson’s Super Connected City Plan aims to attract high-tech investment to London and enable the city to compete with international rivals. It includes plans for greater wireless access in the Royal Docks and will take ultrafast broadband access to around an extra 92,000 residential and 17,200 business premises.
The Mayor said: “We have put forward an ambitious and innovative plan to provide crucial digital infrastructure improvements in London, which are essential if the capital is to attract investment and realise its full economic potential.
“I am delighted London has been awarded this major funding boost, which will build on the catalyst of the 2012 Games and put East London at the heart of future growth, helping to make it a world-wide digital hub, as well as improving Internet access for thousands of residents.”
The funding is the maximum amount London could have been awarded through the DCMS Superconnected City Fund.
The plans are due to be delivered by 2015.
- 1 Coroner concerned with Barts NHS trust after woman 'unlawfully killed'
- 2 One arrest, man in hospital after Stratford station attack
- 3 New Upton Park diner offers free burgers to first 100 customers
- 4 Motorcyclist, 19, remains in ‘life-threatening’ condition after A13 incident
- 5 New online information resource set up for Newham families
- 6 ‘It is not tolerated’: CCTV images released after West Ham game disorder
- 7 Overnight closure of Stratford Centre to continue for another 18 months
- 8 Olympian burglary: Men with links to Plaistow and Isle of Dogs wanted
- 9 Motorcyclist, 19, in critical condition after hitting barriers on A13 Newham Way
- 10 Wanted: Man known to commit offences on train and tube network