London commuters told to change travel plans during Olympics
Commuters across London are being urged to ‘Get Ahead of the Games’ this summer and be prepared to change their travel plans.
Research findings from Transport for London (TfL) show that despite 84 per cent of Londoners being aware that travel will be affected during the Olympics, less than one in eight have actually decided how they may need to change their travel plans during this time.
In responsw, TfL has recreated a live version of one of its popular advertisements to encourage people to use the www.getaheadofthegames.com website and, if necessary, make alternative travel plans ahead of the Games this summer.
TfL has enlisted the help of Rob Frampton, an England’s Strongest Man and British Strongest Man top competitor, and British and international weightlifter Rich Gorvin, to bring to life one of the ‘Get Ahead of the Games’ adverts at a disused Tube platform in Charing Cross Underground station.
The recreation of the popular weightlifter-themed ‘Get Ahead of the Games’ video will be available soon at http://www.youtube.com/user/GAOTG .
You may also want to watch:
Ben Plowden, Director of Planning, TfL Surface Transport, said: “During this summer’s Olympic and Paralympic Games, there will be certain times and places when London’s transport systems will be very busy.
“The ‘Get Ahead of the Games’ campaign is playing a critical role in encouraging the travelling public to plan ahead and ensuring London and the UK keep moving as the nation prepares to celebrate the biggest summer of sporting and cultural events in its history. By recreating this ad with real-life weightlifters and Londoners, we hope to encourage more people to start making alternative plans for their travel this summer.”
- 1 Two Levels FC youngsters seal deals with Football League clubs
- 2 Stratford fast food shop destroyed by 'deep fat fryer' blaze
- 3 Mayor pledges to continue focus on election promises after Newham referendum result
- 4 Call for 'zero tolerance' crackdown on Newham gangs
- 5 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 6 Mayor of Newham: 'Supporting young people after tragedies'
- 7 Woman arrested in Custom House fatal stabbing and shooting investigation
- 8 Unmesh Desai on his priorities after winning City and East election
- 9 Family of man who died after attack in Canning Town pays tribute to a 'loving, generous' father
- 10 Blaze under control at block of flats being built in Canning Town
With information on how journeys could be affected, alternative routes and updates on what stations to avoid and when, www.getaheadofthegames.com is the one stop shop for people travelling in London this summer. As well as the wide-range of information available through that website and www.tfl.gov.uk, London’s travelling public will also be able to get live travel updates this summer on Twitter, via the @GAOTG handle.
For more information on how to ‘Get ahead of the Games’, please visit www.getaheadofthegames.com, and follow live travel updates here https://twitter.com/#!/GAOTG.