London City Airport ideally placed to take on short haul flights
- Credit: Archant
London City Airport is in an ideal position to relieve Heathrow Airport by taking on its short haul flights, according to its chief executive.
Declan Collier said the Royal Docks airport is uniquely placed in terms of location and transport links and could make a contribution to relieving existing capacity constraints at Heathrow.
He was speaking after the Airports Commission said in its Interim Report that by 2040, without extra capacity, the number of domestic routes served by Heathrow will have fallen to four, and that this is of concern to the UK’s regions.
At least 15 per cent of the movements at Heathrow Airport are short-haul and could, theoretically, operate into London City Airport.
Mr Collier said: “LCY is an unique airport in terms of location, convenience (transport links) and speed of transit, which serves crucial sectors of the UK economy and the centres of finance, commerce and government in The City, Canary Wharf and Westminster. In the short term, London City Airport can make a contribution to relieving existing capacity constraints at Heathrow.
You may also want to watch:
“The airport is also proposing enhancements to its existing infrastructure – new aircraft stands and an extended terminal – which will act as a positive catalyst for the future development of Greater London as a whole and, in particular, the burgeoning east of London.
“In the medium-term, the City Airport Development Programme (CADP) will allow the airport to reach its already permitted yearly level of 120,000 flight movements and to double current passenger numbers, accounting for an extra 3 million passengers every year – some 10 per cent of the projected passenger increase in the London airport system over the next 10 years.”
- 1 Roof destroyed by fire in Upton Park
- 2 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
- 3 Tyrese Omotoye impresses on O's trial as Ouss Cisse looks set to depart
- 4 Jailed: 'Violent' Beckton man who threatened to chop off ex-partner's head
- 5 New developments given the green light in Newham so far this year
- 6 Forest Gate flats bid gets green light despite neighbours' objections
- 7 Next court date for drink driving accused after Beckton collision
- 8 Moyes: It was a good, tough test for West Ham at Brentford
- 9 Steward admits lanyard theft ahead of Euro 2020 final
- 10 Lanzini enjoying deeper role for West Ham in pre-season