London Assembly member John Biggs, representing Newham, slams police cuts
London Assembly Member John Biggs has backed a motion branding government cuts “reckless and is calling on Boris Johnson to stop the loss of half of London’s police front counters.
At a London Assembly Plenary meeting last week the motion was passed condemning the �148million cuts, or 20 per cent reduction, to the Metropolitan Police’s budget in the next financial year.
East Ham Police Station was earmarked for closure earlier in the year and across London up to 65 front counters or police stations are likely to close, according to Mr Biggs.
Mr Biggs, representing Newham and Tower Hamlets, also warned more than 891 police community support officers (PCSOs) are are likely to be cut across the capital while borough commanders will be merged.
Since 2010 the Met has already lost 1,956 police officers, 1,800 PCSOs, and over 1,330 civilian staff, and of those 25 PCSOs and 38 police officer were in Newham, Mr Biggs added.
You may also want to watch:
Labour’s Mr Biggs said: “It’s time the Mayor went back to Whitehall and fought London’s corner to secure a fairer financial settlement for policing the capital.”
A spokeswoman for the London Mayor said: “For the first time in recent history we have a balanced budget, so we know where the savings need to come from. This budget involved some difficult decisions on staff reductions, but these civilian staff will be offered generous voluntary exit terms and the most important result is that the Met will continue to have around 32,000 cops keeping London safe.”
- 1 Kacem Mokrane: Newham man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 2 Watch the moment 'stolen' car drives into vehicles in East Ham
- 3 Otas Sarkus: Two charged with murder after fatal shooting
- 4 Steven Fry stabbing: Custom House victim named in murder investigation
- 5 Court date adjourned for Beckton man who sexually assaulted young girl
- 6 Machetes, zombie and lock knives: Five plead guilty after police seize 128 weapons in Plaistow
- 7 Plans to ease congestion at Stratford station receive £2m boost
- 8 Shadrach Ogie back in contention for O's trip to Bristol Rovers
- 9 Silvertown man jailed after police seize drugs with street value of £750k
- 10 Antonio and Rice fire West Ham to win over Dinamo Zagreb in Europa League