London 2012: Six months to go and Olympian Matthew Pinsent helps ready the Athletes homes
Four times Olympic gold medallist Matthew Pinsent was on-hand at Stratford’s Olympic Park yesterday to help start the move of more than 16,000 beds into the athletes and team officials apartments for this summer’s sports spectacular.
It will also involve installing 64,000 bed sheets and 21,000 pillows, 9,000 wardrobes and more than 170,000 coat hangers
Some 11,000 sofas will be ferried in along with 5,000 bins and 5,000 toilet brushes while each apartment with have a television and wi-fi services.
ODA Games chiefs are officially handing over the Village site to organisers Locog today - six months ahead of schedule.
With it came the temporary 24-hour main dining facility with 5,000 seats, Village Plaza Caf� to make up the largest peacetime catering operation in the world with up to 60,000 meals served daily,
You may also want to watch:
along with essential shops and services including general store, bank, beauty and grooming salon, internet lounge and entertainment centre.
It has provided work for more than 16,500 people, through more than 46,000 have worked on the Olympic Park and Village during construction.
- 1 New developments given the green light in Newham so far this year
- 2 Steward admits lanyard theft ahead of Euro 2020 final
- 3 Barts Trust ends major incident but situation 'critical' at Whipps Cross
- 4 Woodford Green and Forest Gate residents criticise councils over flooding
- 5 Inquest: Newham driver died of 'misadventure' after Redbridge police chase
- 6 East London travel disruption round-up for the week ahead
- 7 Grade II-listed building to become creative hub with £250k refurb
- 8 Engineering student wins place at Princeton University
- 9 Forest Gate flats bid gets green light despite neighbours' objections
- 10 Win a pair of Carabao Cup tickets to Leyton Orient vs Queens Park Rangers
ODA Chairman John Armitt stressed the Village was built by companies from every part of the UK while after the Games, the Village will create a legacy of 2,818 new homes.