London 2012: Shrek cast promote cycling during the Olympics and Paralympics
The cast of Shrek proved an unusual sight as they travelled through central London on bikes to promote cycling during the Games.
Characters including Shrek, Princess Fiona and Donkey have teamed up with Transport for London (TfL) and London 2012’s Get Ahead of the Games campaign to urge Londoners to plan and test their alternative cycle or walking journeys before the Games.
The musical’s stars, including Richard Blackwood who plays Donkey, tested alternative transport methods including Barclays Cycle Hire outside the Theatre Royal on Drury Lane, London.
As well as using alternative modes of transport, TfL is also suggesting people change the times they travel to avoid busy periods.
One of its suggestions is that people take in a West End show after work.
You may also want to watch:
Recyclebank is also backing the Get Ahead of the Games campaign by incentivising Londoners to consider different ways to travel around the capital during the Games.
Points are awarded for every alternative journey made and can be redeemed for treats including haircuts, hotels, shopping and spa days.
- 1 New developments given the green light in Newham so far this year
- 2 Steward admits lanyard theft ahead of Euro 2020 final
- 3 Woodford Green and Forest Gate residents criticise councils over flooding
- 4 Forest Gate flats bid gets green light despite neighbours' objections
- 5 Engineering student wins place at Princeton University
- 6 Free fitness sessions on offer in Newham as parkrun returns
- 7 Grade II-listed building to become creative hub with £250k refurb
- 8 Inquest: Newham driver died of 'misadventure' after Redbridge police chase
- 9 Fried chicken outlet to open at Westfield in Stratford
- 10 Barts Trust ends major incident but situation 'critical' at Whipps Cross