London 2012: Olympics day six in pictures
Team GB had its most successful day of the Olympics so far on day six of the Games, winning three gold medals and three silvers.
The men’s cycling sprint team took gold in the Velodrome in their event. The medal is the fifth Olympic gold for Sir Chris Hoy in his career.
But the Velodrome was also the site of bad news, as the women’s sprint team of Victoria Pendleton and Jess Varnish were disqualified for an illegal change.
Sharp-shooter Peter Wilson won gold in the double trap - Britain’s first shooting medal in 12 years - and Britain took the top two positions in the two-man canoe slalom. Etienne Stott and Tim Baillie won gold, while Team GB teammates David Florence and Richard Hounslow took silver.
Gemma Gibbons became the first person from an Olympic host borough to take home a medal, winning silver in the women’s 78kg judo final.
You may also want to watch:
Team GB’s Peter Chambers, Rob Williams, Richard Chambers and Chris Bartley won silver in the lightweight men’s four rowing, being beaten by South Africa.
Britain was fifth in the medal table overnight.
- 1 The Boleyn Tavern in East Ham to welcome back punters after £1.5m restoration
- 2 11 films and TV shows shot in Newham
- 3 Arrests in Ilford and East Ham as police target suspected county lines gang
- 4 Exploding aerosol cans 'contributed to rapid spread' of Silvertown blaze
- 5 Delta variant accounts for majority of Covid cases in much of east London
- 6 Average house price in Newham slides again after record February
- 7 London Stadium to host mass Covid-19 jabs event for north east Londoners
- 8 Chief nurse of England praises Newham specialist school nurses
- 9 US burger chain Wendy's set to open first London restaurant in Stratford
- 10 Richard House Children's Hospice sensory garden equipment stolen
Elsewhere, USA swimmer Michael Phelps won his 16th Olympic gold medal and his 20th Olympic medal overall when he took the top spot in the men’s 200m individual medley.
Team GB also saw success in the pool, with Rebecca Adlington comfortably qualifying for the 800m freestyle.
See our pictures of day six of the Games in the gallery on this page.