London 2012: Olympics day six in pictures
Team GB had its most successful day of the Olympics so far on day six of the Games, winning three gold medals and three silvers.
The men’s cycling sprint team took gold in the Velodrome in their event. The medal is the fifth Olympic gold for Sir Chris Hoy in his career.
But the Velodrome was also the site of bad news, as the women’s sprint team of Victoria Pendleton and Jess Varnish were disqualified for an illegal change.
Sharp-shooter Peter Wilson won gold in the double trap - Britain’s first shooting medal in 12 years - and Britain took the top two positions in the two-man canoe slalom. Etienne Stott and Tim Baillie won gold, while Team GB teammates David Florence and Richard Hounslow took silver.
Gemma Gibbons became the first person from an Olympic host borough to take home a medal, winning silver in the women’s 78kg judo final.
Team GB’s Peter Chambers, Rob Williams, Richard Chambers and Chris Bartley won silver in the lightweight men’s four rowing, being beaten by South Africa.
Britain was fifth in the medal table overnight.
- 1 Gallery: Hidden photos reveal London's East End in the 1960s
- 2 Convicted: Forest Gate man plotted contract killing of Rotterdam blogger
- 3 Men from Newham and Bow among seven jailed in organised crime crackdown
- 4 Motorcyclist, 19, died in hospital after A13 crash near Beckton flyover
- 5 New youth hub set for Stratford Park
- 6 100 people leave Stratford block of flats after fire breaks out
- 7 Jailed: Teen who inflicted life-changing injuries as he squirted acid in boy's face
- 8 'A kind, gentle man': Tributes to retired printworker and beloved father
- 9 Newham man among UK's 'most wanted fugitives' who may be hiding in Spain
- 10 New documentary on murders of women whose bodies were hidden in freezer
Elsewhere, USA swimmer Michael Phelps won his 16th Olympic gold medal and his 20th Olympic medal overall when he took the top spot in the men’s 200m individual medley.
Team GB also saw success in the pool, with Rebecca Adlington comfortably qualifying for the 800m freestyle.
See our pictures of day six of the Games in the gallery on this page.