London 2012: Olympics day nine in pictures - Usain Bolt’s lightning victory
Team GB won more medals on the ninth day of the Games, but the day belonged to sprinter Usain Bolt.
The Jamaican runner won the men’s 100m final last night, with fellow countryman Yohan Blake winning silver and American Justin Gatlin taking bronze.
The race was one of the most anticipated events of the Olympic Games.
Britain continued its success, winning two more gold medals, plus three silvers and two bronzes.
In the Olympic Stadium Newham’s Christine Ohuruogu won silver in the women’s 400m.
You may also want to watch:
One of the golds was won by tennis player Andy Murray, who won the men’s singles. He beat Roger Federer, who won when the two faced off in the Wimbledon final just last month.
Murray won a second medal on day nine, taking silver in the mixed doubles with partner Laura Robson.
- 1 Blaze under control at block of flats being built in Canning Town
- 2 Family of man who died after attack in Canning Town pays tribute to a 'loving, generous' father
- 3 Two Levels FC youngsters seal deals with Football League clubs
- 4 Stratford fast food shop destroyed by 'deep fat fryer' blaze
- 5 Mayor pledges to continue focus on election promises after Newham referendum result
- 6 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 7 Mayor of Newham: 'Supporting young people after tragedies'
- 8 Unmesh Desai on his priorities after winning City and East election
- 9 Call for 'zero tolerance' crackdown on Newham gangs
- 10 Teenagers killed in London in 2021 so far nears 2020 total
Ben Ainslie became the most successful sailor in Olympic history when he won gold in the Finn class for the fourth Games in a row.
There was also a silver for sailors Iain Percy and Andrew Simpson in the Star class.
Gymnasts Louis Smith and Max Whitlock took silver and bronze respectively in the men’s pommel horse final, cheered on by the Duchess of Cambridge.
And Ed Clancy won bronze in the men’s omnium in the Velodrome.
See pictures of day nine of the Games in our gallery on this page.