London 2012: Newham teacher chaperones Olympic athletes for drug testing
A Newham teacher is spending her summer holidays as a volunteer chaperoning Olympics athletes for drug testing.
Victoria Paver, 29, a full time teacher at Kaizen Primary School in Plaistow, volunteered in September 2010. She had her final training sessions late last month. Her real work began in earnest on Saturday.
She said: ‘I decided to apply because I love sport and knowing I’d never be good enough to compete I wanted to get involved. I’d been keep my eyes opening for opportunity since I heard about the successful bid.
‘I’m pretty much working throughout the games, with the odd day off as I also have tickets, I’ll be based at the handball and the hockey and I’ll be chaperoning athletes that have been requested by the anti doping authorities. I am really excited about being part of the games and getting to work with the athletes so closely.
‘I am also volunteering at the Paralympics, fitting it in around school commitments.
‘I know it’ll be hard to get up early during my summer holidays but I am really excited that the greatest sporting competition in on my door step and I am proud to be part of it.’
Kaizen Primary recently hosted a visit by Olympic Torchbearer Brian Carr who was seriously injured in a bomb explosion at the Atlanta Olympics in 1996.
- 1 Coroner concerned with Barts NHS trust after woman 'unlawfully killed'
- 2 One arrest, man in hospital after Stratford station attack
- 3 New Upton Park diner offers free burgers to first 100 customers
- 4 Motorcyclist, 19, remains in ‘life-threatening’ condition after A13 incident
- 5 New online information resource set up for Newham families
- 6 ‘It is not tolerated’: CCTV images released after West Ham game disorder
- 7 Overnight closure of Stratford Centre to continue for another 18 months
- 8 Olympian burglary: Men with links to Plaistow and Isle of Dogs wanted
- 9 Motorcyclist, 19, in critical condition after hitting barriers on A13 Newham Way
- 10 Wanted: Man known to commit offences on train and tube network