London 2012: More spectators on public transport as Velodrome opens for competition
The Velodrome opens for sporting events tomorrow, leading to an increase in the number of people using public transport to get to the park, according to Transport for London (TfL).
Thousands of spectators are expected to head to the venue to cheer on the first cyclists taking part in indoor events.
In addition to the Olympic Park, events also take place at others venues around London including three sessions of beach volleyball around Horse Guards Parade.
TfL has warned that the Jubilee line will be busy in the morning and evening peak periods tomorrow with events taking place at Lord’s Cricket Ground, North Greenwich Arena, ExCel and the Olympic Park.
London’s Transport Commissioner, Peter Hendy, said: “As the number of Games events taking place across the capital increases we will see larger numbers of passengers at certain times and places. Where possible we are asking people to avoid the busiest times.
You may also want to watch:
“Away from the sporting venues, London has an enormous array of attractions to offer during the Games, so I encourage everyone to enjoy the theatres, restaurants, shops, free concerts, Live Sites and attractions and to continue to use GetAheadoftheGames.com to plan your journeys.”
Tube journeys were up 10.5 per cent yesterday compared to what would be expected at this time of year, and Docklands Light Railway (DLR) use was up 65 per cent on Monday.
- 1 Silvertown scrap yard blaze burns throughout night as crews remain on scene
- 2 Woman arrested in Custom House fatal stabbing and shooting investigation
- 3 Silvertown scrapyard blaze under control after crews battle for nine hours
- 4 Newham's governance referendum: the case for both options
- 5 Man hit by car in alleged Canning Town 'fight' dies from injuries
- 6 Teenagers killed in London in 2021 so far nears 2020 total
- 7 Appeal to help find missing girl who may be in Dagenham, Ilford or Stratford
- 8 Police name victim of Custom House fatal shooting and stabbing
- 9 Staff 'overjoyed' as nursery opens in Stratford
- 10 Meet the candidates battling for votes in East Ham's by-election
TfL said journeys to stations serving the West End on Monday remained at the same levels seen this time last year.