London 2012: Michelle Obama to meet US athletes at University of East London today
Team USA athletes have started arriving for a breakfast at which Michelle Obama will make an appearance.
The event is taking place at SportsDock at the University of East London’s (UEL) Docklands campus.
Athletes from a number of sports will train at SportsDock throughout the Games.
Among those who have already arrived for the breakfast is fencer Tim Morehouse.
The First Lady is due to arrive shortly after 9am, when she will make a speech and then greet athletes, as well as meet UEL Vice-Chancellor Professor Patrick McGhee.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “We are honoured and excited to be welcoming the First Lady to our campus during the Olympic Games. She is an inspirational figure with a track record of promoting better health through sporting engagement and raising aspiration generally. We are delighted to be hosting Team USA during the games and thrilled to be welcoming the First Lady’s visit to the athletes.”
Mrs Obama is leading the presidential delegation to the opening of the London 2012 Games.
- 1 Blaze under control at block of flats being built in Canning Town
- 2 Family of man who died after attack in Canning Town pays tribute to a 'loving, generous' father
- 3 Two Levels FC youngsters seal deals with Football League clubs
- 4 Stratford fast food shop destroyed by 'deep fat fryer' blaze
- 5 Mayor pledges to continue focus on election promises after Newham referendum result
- 6 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 7 Mayor of Newham: 'Supporting young people after tragedies'
- 8 Unmesh Desai on his priorities after winning City and East election
- 9 Call for 'zero tolerance' crackdown on Newham gangs
- 10 Woman arrested in Custom House fatal stabbing and shooting investigation
While she is here she will attend the London 2012 Olympic Games opening ceremony and encourage American children to be active in their daily lives.