London 2012: Michelle Obama to meet US athletes at University of East London today
Team USA athletes have started arriving for a breakfast at which Michelle Obama will make an appearance.
The event is taking place at SportsDock at the University of East London’s (UEL) Docklands campus.
Athletes from a number of sports will train at SportsDock throughout the Games.
Among those who have already arrived for the breakfast is fencer Tim Morehouse.
The First Lady is due to arrive shortly after 9am, when she will make a speech and then greet athletes, as well as meet UEL Vice-Chancellor Professor Patrick McGhee.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “We are honoured and excited to be welcoming the First Lady to our campus during the Olympic Games. She is an inspirational figure with a track record of promoting better health through sporting engagement and raising aspiration generally. We are delighted to be hosting Team USA during the games and thrilled to be welcoming the First Lady’s visit to the athletes.”
Mrs Obama is leading the presidential delegation to the opening of the London 2012 Games.
- 1 Stephen Fry: Canning Town man to face court charged with murder
- 2 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 3 'That is what this club is about' as Mark Noble wants to find West Ham fan
- 4 New primary school in Stratford welcomes first reception class
- 5 Police appeal to bystanders in alleged rape case
- 6 Indian restaurants to try in Newham, as recommended by readers
- 7 New Covid vaccine centres to open across east London
- 8 Steven Fry stabbing: Custom House victim named in murder investigation
- 9 Campaigners protest City Farm closure at Town Hall with 6,000-strong petition
- 10 Secondary claims to be 'billion-pound school' based on earnings research
While she is here she will attend the London 2012 Olympic Games opening ceremony and encourage American children to be active in their daily lives.