London 2012: Athletes introduced during parade at Olympic Games
Thousands of competitors took part in the athletes’ parade during the opening ceremony of the Olympic Games.
All 204 countries competing at this year’s Games took part in the parade, although some athletes who have early competitions did not attend.
Greece was the first team on, as per tradition because it is the home of the Olympic Games. Team GB, as the host nation’s team, was last on, led by flagbearer and cyclist Sir Chris Hoy.
The rest of the teams came on in alphabetical order. Among the flagbearers were Usain Bolt for Jamaica and Novak Djokovich for Serbia. Flagbearers stuck the flags in the model of Glastonbury Tor that was part of the opening scene of Danny Boyle’s ceremony.
All teams were accompanied by a child holding a copper petal inscribed with the name of their country and the words “XXX Olympiad London 2012”. The petals are to be used later in the ceremony.
You may also want to watch:
The athlete’s parade took around 90 minutes to complete. Among those in the audience were heads of state.
For Britain, in addition to the Queen and Prince Phillip, the audience also contained the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and the Duke and Duchess of Cornwall, Prince Harry, and Prime Minister David Cameron and his wife Samantha.
- 1 Flooding causes road and rail disruption across east London
- 2 Clean-up underway after flash floods hit Newham
- 3 Canning Town bus station stays closed as 'urgent' investigation underway
- 4 The secondary schools in Newham rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 5 Appeal after man allegedly 'spits at' woman travelling through Whitechapel, West Ham and Barking
- 6 Ceiling panels collapse and operations cancelled at hospital after flooding
- 7 Fried chicken outlet to open at Westfield in Stratford
- 8 Carpenters Estate neighbours to vote on redevelopment plans
- 9 Leyton Orient boss Jackett full of praise for Sotiriou after Magpies win
- 10 Brilliant moment for Okoflex as he nets in West Ham's win at Celtic