London 2012: Athletes introduced during parade at Olympic Games
Thousands of competitors took part in the athletes’ parade during the opening ceremony of the Olympic Games.
All 204 countries competing at this year’s Games took part in the parade, although some athletes who have early competitions did not attend.
Greece was the first team on, as per tradition because it is the home of the Olympic Games. Team GB, as the host nation’s team, was last on, led by flagbearer and cyclist Sir Chris Hoy.
The rest of the teams came on in alphabetical order. Among the flagbearers were Usain Bolt for Jamaica and Novak Djokovich for Serbia. Flagbearers stuck the flags in the model of Glastonbury Tor that was part of the opening scene of Danny Boyle’s ceremony.
All teams were accompanied by a child holding a copper petal inscribed with the name of their country and the words “XXX Olympiad London 2012”. The petals are to be used later in the ceremony.
You may also want to watch:
The athlete’s parade took around 90 minutes to complete. Among those in the audience were heads of state.
For Britain, in addition to the Queen and Prince Phillip, the audience also contained the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and the Duke and Duchess of Cornwall, Prince Harry, and Prime Minister David Cameron and his wife Samantha.
- 1 Halal butcher's aiming to be 'Harrods of meat industry' opens in Stratford
- 2 Parking space row sees police called and woman left feeling 'vulnerable'
- 3 Car abandoned after triple shooting and stabbing at Forest Gate barber
- 4 'Simply horrifying': Newham MPs react after stabbing of Sir David Amess
- 5 Forest Gate townhouses scoop RIBA's Neave Brown award for 'affordable' housing
- 6 Plan to transform Royal Docks into 'world-leading' cultural hub unveiled
- 7 Family given 'gift' of week to say goodbye to son who died at 10 minutes old
- 8 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 9 Beckton man due to be sentenced for sexual assault of young girl
- 10 'Hi-tech AI' butcher's shop opening in Stratford