Local elections 2014: City Airport focus of hustings for prospective Newham councillors
- Credit: Archant
London City Airport will be the focus of an election hustings next week, featuring representatives of all parties standing in Newham.
The meeting, to be held on Monday, May 12, is organised by HACAN East, who represent people living under the flight path.
The expansion of City Airport is under consideration, with a decision due to be made by Newham Council this summer.
John Stewart, the chairman of HACAN East, said: “There is much concern about the continuing expansion of the airport, not just amongst Newham residents but much further afield.
“The large jet planes now using the airport are causing noise problems for people living many miles from the airport.
You may also want to watch:
“This public meeting will be a chance to question budding politicians.”
The hustings will take place at Britannia Village Hall, West Silvertown, at 7.30pm.
- 1 Luxury hotel with artisan food market and rooftop bar to open in Stratford
- 2 WATCH: Footage emerges of Beckton Alps ski slope
- 3 Driver, 18, wanted for driving wrong way through Blackwall Tunnel
- 4 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 5 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 6 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 7 'We haven't waited to act': Newham primary schools extend days to help pupils catch up after pandemic
- 8 Parks in Newham triumph with Green Flag awards
- 9 What's on across east London this weekend?
- 10 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?