Who you gonna call? Shedbusters move into action in Newham
This is the tiny shed with bed – occupied at one time by five adult men – which Newham Council has this week demolished.
It was one of the first sheds with beds in the country to be razed under the Housing Act.
The illegal building, at the back of a ramshackle semi-detached house on Victoria Avenue, East Ham, measured no more than 13 metres square and was just yards from a Tube line.
It had no heating or insulation and only one window.
And so Newham’s Shedbusters squad moved into action
You may also want to watch:
Newham Council’s Ian Corbett, Executive Member for Infrastructure and Environment, said: “We want to ensure that private sector rented properties are well managed and meet a good standard. We also want to deal with the crime and anti-social behaviour that is sometimes associated with bad private sector rented housing.
“One bad house can drag down a whole street and we are doing this for the community.
- 1 Election 2021: Live updates for GLA, by-election and referendum
- 2 Call for 'zero tolerance' crackdown on Newham gangs
- 3 Woman arrested in Custom House fatal stabbing and shooting investigation
- 4 Teenagers killed in London in 2021 so far nears 2020 total
- 5 Early front-runners for Leyton Orient managerial vacancy
- 6 Player ratings: Coufal shines as West Ham fall to Everton defeat
- 7 Man hit by car in alleged Canning Town 'fight' dies from injuries
- 8 Fly-tippers dump loft insulation, building waste and sink on Wanstead Flats
- 9 Leyton Orient defender Josh Coulson set to depart
- 10 We're down, but not out insists West Ham boss Moyes after Everton loss
“There are good landlords in Newham and we want to work with them. Unfortunately there are also some unscrupulous ones – and these are the ones we are targetting.
“We will never accept private sector tenants being directly exploited by landlords who force them to live in dangerous and unacceptable conditions.”
“Good landlords have nothing to fear. For the bad ones, we have a clear message: clean up your act or pay the price.”